The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just added this little Nigerian Dwarf buckling to my herd, to bring in some new genetics. His dam is a fantastic milker, and 3 out of 4 of his grandparents have reached champion status. Anyway, his dam is polled and often throws polled kids. She is not a homozygously polled goat, though.

He and his brother were born without the usual swirls that signal a goat will be horned. At four weeks of age, they then showed signs of horn development, apparently. The area where their horns would be got more prominent. It was like buds started to grow, but late. Can horn development start that late, especially on little bucklings? For example, a buckling born here this year needed to be disbudded at three days, his horn buds were so big! But I am sure different lines grow in different ways.

So at a month old his breeder disbudded him, just in case. It has now been five weeks since he was disbudded. The burn area looks great, though it looks kind of unique. I will have to get a picture. There is a little node where each horn would be, not a true cap per say, like on disbuddings I've seen (copper or white ring, cap popped off). I have pictures I took last night to show what I mean. No signs of horn growth, so if he was horned, the disbudding worked.

What are your thoughts on the little guy? Him being polled would be the icing on an already awesome cake! I know the only true way thought to determine if he is polled or not is to breed him and see if he throws polled kids. But your knowledge on polled goats might help determine the probability of it before he is bred.

Attachments

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
I really think he looks polled in that picture. But it's a little hard to tell.

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

EEK!

I don't know from the pic, but SQUEE!!!

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha, he sure is a lover. I do wish I had a closer pic of him from that age! I have a side picture of him a few weeks older, but that doesn't really show his head at all.

How much horn development does a normal goat buckling have by the four week mark? They're broken through the skin by that point, right?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i have a buckling who's 8 weeks old, he's alpine/nubian mix. his horns are about 2-2.5 inches long.

btw - that buckling is ADORABLE!

·
1,277 Posts
By 4 weeks old, you would be able to tell if he were horned. We have had a couple of polled kids born here this year and they do have little bumps where their horns would be, but they never get any bigger. I bet he is polled.

·
Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit
3,746 Posts
Had a doe last year whose dam is polled. Her and her brother both looked the same, no swirls and rounded nubs. Didn't burn them then at 4 weeks she started growing horns. It was too late to burn them well enough

1 - 9 of 9 Posts