The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twinkle is a polled doe she had twins on the 9/24 one boy one girl so far no horn buds are felt on nether one I know the girls take longer. ? is can I guess by there hair on there heads. If you want pics of heads I can post later
Thanks
Rhoda

·
Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit
3,746 Posts
Eeek! Excited about the babies! We will need a pic of them to tell if their polled. The buck baby should be obvious because he will have little swirls on where his horns should be. With the doe you will have to keep checking her for a week or so. You'll know if she will have horns or not!

·
Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit
3,746 Posts
Ok I forgot to put this. If the buds are rounded at the top then they are most likely to be polled. If its turning to be spikey then yes they will have horns.

·
Registered
979 Posts
looks polled to me,,,of course it has to do a lot with what you feel under the hair that we can't see...but that hair "style" looks polled

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Twinkle is a polled doe she had twins on the 9/24 one boy one girl so far no horn buds are felt on nether one I know the girls take longer. ? is can I guess by there hair on there heads. If you want pics of heads I can post later
Thanks
Rhoda
Offspring have to have a horned gene from both parents to develop horns. If Twinkle is naturally polled - as opposed to having been disbudded - the kids only have 1 horned gene from their father and will probably not develop horns. Here is where it gets confusing - the exception to that is if Twinkle is carrying a recessive horned gene (I think that is what it is called). In that case, I believe that some of the kids will develop horns while others will not.

Case in point, I have 3 naturally polled does - Sabrina, Sheba, and Cookies, and all of my bucks have/had horns. All of the does carry the recessive gene, I think. Sabrina always has triplets and 1 or two of the kids will have horns, but 1 or 2 don't. Cookies kids always have horns, despite the fact that she is polled. Sheba can go either way - in the last 4 years all of her kids had horns, but neither of the twins she delivered in January 2013 have horns. Are you really confused now? :laugh:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I check there heads daily. so far not even a bump unlike the little buckling that was born in april you could feel his from day one. I'll just keep checking if I feel anything I'll wait to make sure that they are horns before I go to the vets for disbudding
Thank you
Rhoda

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Offspring have to have a horned gene from both parents to develop horns. If Twinkle is naturally polled - as opposed to having been disbudded - the kids only have 1 horned gene from their father and will probably not develop horns. Here is where it gets confusing - the exception to that is if Twinkle is carrying a recessive horned gene (I think that is what it is called). In that case, I believe that some of the kids will develop horns while others will not.

Case in point, I have 3 naturally polled does - Sabrina, Sheba, and Cookies, and all of my bucks have/had horns. All of the does carry the recessive gene, I think. Sabrina always has triplets and 1 or two of the kids will have horns, but 1 or 2 don't. Cookies kids always have horns, despite the fact that she is polled. Sheba can go either way - in the last 4 years all of her kids had horns, but neither of the twins she delivered in January 2013 have horns. Are you really confused now? :laugh:
Here is an explanation of the actual percentages or the chances of having horns or not, of course the chance is for each kid and some folks may get all one or all the other, or a mix. To date I have had a 50/50 split, all the girls out of my horned doe by polled bucks have been polled, all the bucklings have had horns, lol. My Buck is clearly heterozygous for the polled gene, not homozygous: http://americangoatsociety.com/education/polled_genetics.php

edit to add: it is easier to see with a Punnett square but i don't remember where i saved the picture of one I had for polled genetics with a heterozygous and homozygous polled crossed with a horned.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well they are a week old today and still no bumps on there heads. hopefully it stays that way
Thank you

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
They look polled to me. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts