The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody use these or have any opinions on them ?
We are contemplating getting a few of these to put in their paddocks for rain and wind shelters and for temporary housing till the weather gets real bad.

Any thoughts and also does anyone know of a dealer in or near NY ?
I know the main store is in MN.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Laura, we use a calf hut for our bucks.. I like it, it's pretty much the same as the poly dome... I know someone in NJ that sells them :) she is really an awesome lady I can send you her email if you want. I know she uses them for her bucks all year round..

·
Registered
778 Posts
I don't know about being able to lock them in.. There is a feeder thing we have that holds pails that we use for calves.. But it wouldn't keep predators out if they where determined

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I don't think there is a way to lock them... :/

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone think the mega size would be big enough to allow them to stand stretch and eliminate ?
Yeah I would want a door of some kind or maybe a wind break. No predators here thank goodness. (Long Island )

Yes Skyla email me the link :).

·
2,203 Posts
Why couldn't you fix a piece of hog panel, woven mesh, or cattle panel and run the poles through??

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well , I think we have decided to get a couple of the polydomes and see how they work of us. If they dont work out , there are farmers out here that would be interested in them. We did find another place called
Agri-Plastics , they have calf huts , I think you can google calf huts.com and they will come up. Have you guys heard of these before ? Anybody use them before ? Just curious because they have a door option which is on the back. But there are places on them that could allow drafts
in , so Im not so sure they would work out.

·
2,203 Posts
Agri-Plastic is big in our area. They have a dealer not far from us. Lots of the custom calf raisers use em. They seem to hold up well and price is right.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have you noticed if they hold up well outside in the winter months ?
Most of the pictures on the site show them being used indoors.....
And I am a little worried about ventilation cause there is no cap onto.

·
2,203 Posts
Have you noticed if they hold up well outside in the winter months ?
Most of the pictures on the site show them being used indoors.....
And I am a little worried about ventilation cause there is no cap onto.
I guess I have ever seen them used inside? Lol We dairy farmers use calf hutches of all sorts outside all the time, we're in Wisconsin. They hold up excellent. Bed them thick, and they stay surprisingly warm. You can custom order a rear vent if you wish, I think they do make top vent as well...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hey Laura,

Here is a good thread imported here from the former "PackGoatForum" that you may find interesting.

http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f191/polydome-shelter-158151/index2.html

That said, I believe the Poly Dome shelters are the best portable shelter out there for our goats for sooo many reasons and they should last you for a decade or two and maybe then some. I won't try to sell you on the features and benefits as you can look them up (or ask me questions.) But...I will tell you that I started out with a borrowed Calf-Tel hutch (that I was grateful to borrow until I got my Poly Domes) but I'm really not very impressed with the Calf-Tel hutches or similar knock-offs for the same money let alone if they are more. I also seriously considered the Port-a-huts and have an acquaintance with 35 of them which I checked them out in depth. They are nice but ultimately I was not impressed with them either for my needs...especially at many times the weight and double the price. I looked at several other options for converted items to shelters and even building some from scratch. In the end I kept coming back to the Poly Dome shelters...I really couldn't find anything better for the money for goats...or sheep, calves, mini-horses or even alpacas. They are tough & made to last but are still light enough (80-100 lbs) to easily flip on their side and roll to the next destination.

Anyway, as noted in the thread, admittedly I like them so much that "I am not only a user, I am a member"...I became a dealer of them for Utah, Southern Idaho & Western Wyoming. Not much money in them but it is a product I believe in and will hopefully support my goat habit a bit. :smile: Not much help for you out east I know, but hopefully you see my opinion are not because I am trying to sell you.

Best of luck!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts