Poo problems

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Mamatoes, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Mamatoes

Mamatoes Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Muskoka
    I have had mama goat with soft stools for weeks now. She starts the day with soft poo and then by the end of the day it’s usually goat pellets. Today was like soft dog poo though. So nasty. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

she had ivermectin a couple weeks back and she gets free range hay and minerals and then she gets her grains at milking times. I was giving her quite a lot of BOSS in that too but read on here it can coat her intestines and cause loose stool. So I stopped and it hasn’t changed.

My goat mentor I was talking to about giving her a bolus upon the suggestion of this site and she recommended not to because I just got her a couple months ago and she’s never been on goat minerals before so now she is and apparently it can take time for the copper to build up.

she suggested safe guard wormer and a shot of B12.
    Any suggestions goaty friends? I want the best for my goaty.

Attached Files:

MadHouse likes this.
  2. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    If yall want to give chemical dewormers, then definitely get a fecal first. You don't want to be giving her unnecessary treatments. It can actually do more harm than good!

Have you checked eye color? By that I mean FAMACHA?

Shot of b complex wont hurt.

Have yall tried probiotics?

Check the pasture for something that may be upsetting her tummy

What was the ivermectin for? Did she have an active case of worms?

3. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Is it alfalfa hay she is getting free choice?
    My goats tend to get looser stool when they get too much fine alfalfa, rather than stems. When I see it I make sure they eat more stalks. I read that is from too much protein.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Fecal to include coccidia first. Probiotics and a B Complex shot never hurt.

goatblessings likes this.
  5. Mamatoes

Mamatoes Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Muskoka
    It does have slot of alfalfa in it! The breeder said that too. Is it going to harm her? She was inside all day eating only hay cuz of rain and it’s the worst it’s been!

6. Mamatoes

Mamatoes Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Muskoka
    O
    k looks like I gotta visit the vet again. Wish I knew how to do my own!

7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Always get a fecal before treating.

I would prefer you not go to a vet, and send to meadowmist lab yourself - the results are much more accurate - IMO vets are not trained well in the art of fecal testing :heehee: www.meadowmistlabservice.com

Probios, B Complex.

Rectal temp? FAMACHA score?

@happybleats

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  8. Mamatoes

Mamatoes Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Muskoka
    Haven’t taken a temp cuz she’s happy as a clam. Famacha wasn’t super pink but not overly pale. I’ll check tomorrow. And we’re in Canada so not sure my options for testing

9. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    what color are the poops?

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  10. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Alfalfa in the hay is great for her, don't change that.

Is she milking just once a day at night getting her grain then soft stools in the morning? Then hay all day and poops are good at night? How many pounds and what grains does she get at milking?

11. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I didn’t mean to suggest to take the alfafa away.
    I just noticed with mine there seems to be a balance where it’s just right, and when it’s too much fine alfafa, the stool is clumpy in the morning.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  13. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Also if she is getting a lot of pasture and wet weather, that can have something to do with it. My vet is great at fecals, so if you like yours, I would feel comfortable doing that. Don't ever use wormers without a fecal analysis. It may not target what you are dealing with and cause resistance.

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.