Pooch test??? (changed from Pouch)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by smwon, Mar 7, 2009.

1. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    I'm not sure I am in the right forum or if I have the term correct but here goes anyways...

I bought a 5 month old buck for my Nigerian Dwarf Doe in Dec. He is now 8 months old. My doe is 10 months old. She came in heat every two weeks about forever and the buck didn't seem to interested. But not long ago he started peeing on his front legs. She has appeared to come in heat twice since and both times the buck pee'd on himself. I have not seen him try to mount her, but I was looking at pictures in here of two different posters who posted picture for the pouch test (??) for y'all to look at. I don't have any pictures, but was wondering just what you look for? She seems swollen just a little around the opening (vulva?) and it is starting to take on a slight doughnut shape. Does this mean anything? What should I look for and when does it usually show up?

Thank in advance!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: Pouch test???

If he is starting to pee on himself... then he is starting to go into rut.....The does like that smell and that is what helps bring them in......give it some time....
    Swelling of the Vulva is one sign ...she may flag her tail alot.....rubbing all over the buck...there may be a discharge to...they may be very verbal....and pee alot ...especially in front of the buck ....if she is in full heat ....she will try ....just about anything to get him to breed her....
    Other does may mount her to...

3. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California

I understand how she acts when in heat. I was asking about after she is bred. Isn't there a 'pouch' test? Or something that you look at? Her behind looks 'different' after she is pregnant, doesn't it? Of course the only place I have heard about that is here - so maybe I am all wet! :shrug:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

we call it pooch test and all you need to do is post a picture of her "pooch" (rear, cha cha area) Must include anus and the tail needs to be up. :thumb:

5. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California

Ok, I will see if I can get a picture, but in the meanwhile, can you tell me what you are looking for? Explain it to me, please... :greengrin: AND can you tell me how long before these signs show up?

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

usualy by the time they are 2-3 months along I can tell for sure. Sometimes at 1 month along but that is usualy withmy own goats.

Looking for the anus to be not tucked under the tail and for the vulva to be longer looking and wrinkly (sometimes). It isnt easy to explain

7. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California

OH! Now that I have the wording right... :wink: I could do a search:

http://www.happytailzfarm.com/pooch_test_2.htm

You were posting while I was Stacey!

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I have to agree with stacey... it is hard to explain...I still even with pics ...have a hard time...
    but stacey is really good at it... a picture needs to be posted to be able to help with your question... :wink:

9. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California

Ok I went and took a picture - I had to have someone hold her collar - she doesn't want anyone messing with her behind! lol. Of course maybe she is just in heat again, maybe?

[​IMG]

10. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
  11. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California

Wow that was a BIG help! Thank you... The reason I started thinking maybe Cali was pregnant was because she looks different now than she has before and I remembered reading about the pooch test here... of course she is a young doe - 10 months old and obviously has not kidded before.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

looks preggy to me :thumb:

13. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine

You're welcome. Cali did an excellent job posing for the pic. :wink:

14. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California

Thanks Stacy and everyone - now how far along is she? Can that be told this way too? Her heat cycles were very weird - sometimes lasting for several days. The last couple though, seemed to be very light and hardly noticeable.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

no sorry I cant tell you that :shades:

16. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California

That's ok Stacey. I will just look when her last couple of heat cycle were that she really acted in heat and go from there. I'm glad she is finally bred! (fingers crossed!) cause if she didn't get bred soon I was going to wait until winter to bred her. I don't want winter babies!

Ok, my notes say: "02/13/09 - Cali is in heat again. She first showed signs on the 10th and the boys were very interested for a day or so. Today she still has a little clear discharge..."

And come to think of it, she hasn't been in heat since! (The 'boy's' being the buck and a wether) She never goes 3 weeks - ever! Oh I have my fingers soooo crossed! :hi5:

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I would go with that as the breeding date Count 150 days for a due date

18. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California

Should I count from the 10th or the 13th? Probably the 10th huh? By the 13th she was just about done. Oh! This is sooo exciting! :stars:

19. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Welcome to the hair pulling club. We have all been in this boat at one point or another and even when we do know, the does manage to fool us.

20. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California

Now that I know the term 'pooch' instead of 'pouch', I did a search to see what others have said on here. I found this thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7531&p=95161&hilit=pooch#p95161

Now the reason I am showing this is because around 1/3/09 Cali looked just like that! It was a very 'strong' heat and the only time I had seem her in heat like that. The boys fought very bad that time also! The rest of the times she seemed to be in heat was not real clear like that heat cycle was and the boys tolerated each other ok. So could she have been bred in January and still show light signs of heat? After that cycle in January, she seemed to come into a light heat every 12 days (consistently).

My notes say: 02/01/09 - She seems to have a slight yellowish discharge, but Bieber (the buck) isn't real interested, although he is sniffing her.