The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to be able to "see" what other's see in the pooch tests and I am hoping others will too. There are lots of pooch test requests out there with guesses and answers. What I am hoping for is that folks can post their pooch pics with breeding dates and those "in the know" will give their opinion with a detailed description of why they think what they do. Anyone interested?? I will post below.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,086 Posts
pooch progression time!

All right, I made a slide for you. It's very helpful to have pictures of your doe's vulva before and after she was bred, so you know what her "normal" looks like. :thumb:

The first progression shows Bee. Notice in the first picture, her vulva is tight, and curves slightly up. The second picture is her recently bred, and settled. The tip of her vulva is pointing down. Third picture was late into her pregnancy. You can see the entire area is loosened and droopy.

The second progression shows Gypsy, who was tougher to tell. In the first picture she had kidded recently, so she's a bit puffy, but you can tell the tip of her vulva ever so slightly is tipped up. Second picture it is slightly elongated, and pointing down. Third picture she has gotten loose and droopy.

Hope that helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I have a question.. What if you have a doe who is not bred, but her vulva is pointed down? How do you tell then? :shrug: I'll get a pic of her pooch in the morning.

·
11,086 Posts
All I can say is... Wow.. and the full udder on Gypsy is ... something else(double WoW)!
Haha, I know, following them around and snapping pictures constantly. :eek: But it does come in handy!

Thank you! Gypsy has an extremely correct udder. We kept a buckling from her this year, it was her last kidding. His name is Miracle Max. We really hope he throws udders like his momma's!

I have a question.. What if you have a doe who is not bred, but her vulva is pointed down? How do you tell then? :shrug: I'll get a pic of her pooch in the morning.
Take a picture of her when she isn't bred, then a few weeks after you think she is bred. If you look at the pictures side by side, you can usually tell a difference. Gypsy's doesn't point up a whole lot, but with the pictures I was able to tell the subtle differences as her pregnancy progressed. :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
She does look bred to me.. But there is almost no chance she could be bred... She's only 8 months so I sure hope she isn't! :(

·
11,086 Posts
8 months isn't too bad, with good nutrition she should be fine if she's bred. My first kidding season, Busy Bee was only 8 or 9 months old when we bred her. Now I like to wait until they are a year old, but Bee did well. She was a great momma and she presented the kids well for delivery.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I will get pictures in the morning. If she was a normal size for her age, I wouldn't be concerned. But she is underweight and not as wide built as she should be. That is why I am concerned. Otherwise I wouldn't be.

·
11,086 Posts
Ahhh, gotcha. I'll tell you what, though, if you think she's in heat, that can also make the vulva puffy-looking.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
We got her about 2 weeks ago, and she was DEFINITELY in heat a couple days after we got her. *rolls eyes* You know how they can be ;)

·
Registered
365 Posts
ThreeHavens,
I just got me a ND doling this past weekend. Shes only about 4-5 months old. However I found out that she was able to get in and out of her fathers pen all the time. While they never seen he stand for him and she would run away from him, they couldn't guarantee she wasn't bred. Let alone how far along she might be. She doesn't look preggers at the moment but Im not sure. IF I get a pic of her pooch do you think you might be able to tell? I have nothing to compare it too.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
How soon do they tend to tip downwards after breeding? My doe was first bred two weeks ago tomorrow, and came back into standing heat last Thursday.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Some does don't change in predictable ways, in which case the best way to tell is side by side "not bred, possibly bred" pictures. I have one doe who I can tell usually because her anus bulges out when she is bred, but sinks in when she is open. Everything else looks pretty much the same. But I have to follow her around looking at her bum until right after she drops a load of goatberries because the need to poo can make her bum look it does when she is bred. *facepalm*

When I got goats no one ever warned me I would spend this much time staring at their genitals.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts