Pooch test for my girls please

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by jay13, Jul 13, 2010.

1. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    First pic is of my girl Millie who we have been desperate to get bred as it seems she miscarried last fall. I'm afraid that if she doesn't "put out" this year we will have to find a replacement :( She gad some udder development as compares with last time and if I try, I can "milk" out a few drops from each teat. eta if she is bred she will be a first timer
    [​IMG]

This second one is of our girl Vanilli. She is currently in milk and kidded on 29 march 2010.
    [​IMG]
    how soon after kidding can they get pregnant?the last time i saw our buck act bucky and try to mount any one was 27 march which would be the possible breed date for millie. they are pure bred alpines so are supposed to be seasonal breeders. we had them together briefly due to construction projects in the pen.

thx for the help :)

Jay

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont think they are bred

they are seasonal breeders so I would give millie another fall to get bred before culling her

3. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    It was my plan to wait until I see what happens this fall to decide what to do with millie... She has just started to get udder development, not much mind you, but some and she seems to have some extra girth to her. If she is, she is, if not :shrug: I am still too new to this to be able to tell these things :sigh: I appreciate your input, thanks Stacey :)

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ive been known to be wrong -- Im just giving you my input

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With Millie's udder developement being so minimal, it could be because she's maturing....and, I do need to add that you shouldn't be expressing the teats unless the udder area is hot and swollen(meaning infection), you risk a serious situation with opening the udder up to bacterias that may cause mastitis by removing the plugs, I think that with being seasonal breeders and the pooches don't look relaxed to me to say they are preggy. Usually the breeding season starts in late August to late September...watch for signs of heat and try "hand breeding"...buck on leash, doe too if you can manage. Once you see signs of heat do the visit with the buck at least once a day until she's receptive and will stand for him.
    If this doesn't work with getting Millie PG...see if you can get Lutelyse from your vet, it will bring a doe into heat.

6. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Thank you for the info liz, didn't realize it could be a problem! The only reason I messed with it is because one side got kinda big and the other blew its own plug and there was obviously liquid on her leg, I really didn't want to have issues so I checked the other side as well. Since then I have not expressed anything from either side and it is getting a little puffy again but not dramatically so. We got our buck back in March/April and they ran together for a while. I *think* she may have stood for him at one point but not sure if it was just horsing around or what with him being new and all. If she took, that would make her due sometime in August poor thing. We had a crazy spring this year so there is no telling what the deal is. I am glad to know that you all don't think Vanilli is preggers. I kinda want to see how long I can milk her before freshening again. Her doe kid out of the neighbor's boer buck is BEAUTIFUL! and is putting on weight very well. I may breed her to our alpine buck just to see what happens... the kids would then be 75% alpine and 25% boer... dunno yet only problem is she has a small third teat but we aren't looking for show goats so much and it would be an interesting experiment.