Pooch Test Please 10/17 New Pics

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by bbredmom, Oct 8, 2008.

1. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    This is my goat Rosie, and I've gone back and forth on whether she is preggers or not. Half the poeple I show pic too say no, and the other half say yes, and then theird half say "I dunno".

I'm kinds hoping she is, b/c they would be the babies of my buck/wether that was just killed. If she is pregnant, she's due the end of the month. She is starting to bag up, and sometimes I feel like there is something moving in there, but her but doesn't look poochy enough to me.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Pooch Test Please

she looks preggy to me

3. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas

Can dogs tell when a goat is pregnant? My BC and GSD are constantly herding her back into the pen, where before, as recetnly as two weeks ago, they kept their distance and guarded as a whole. Especially my GSD, he usually shows little to no interest in the goats. Now if she is out, I cant keep him away from her!

Has anyone else's dogs ever done this?

4. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca

With that udder I would defiently say so, that looks like a typical ff udder. She dosent tho look like she will go at the end of the month, that udder looks like another month or two to go. Is there a possible way she got bred later??

5. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas

No, It would had to have been between June 2-9. Before that she wasn't around a buck, and after the 9th my buck was a wether.

What makes it so difficult is she does not like to be touched, for feeling for ligaments is hard to. But when I can a hold of her, hers do feel soft.

She looks to be carrying the babies low. She doesn't stick out the sides like other preggies I've seen.

Or, she's just fat! :shrug:

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

what kind of method did you use to wether him? if the banding method I hear they are furtile for a little bit afterwards, but not for really long

7. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas

He was surgically castrated. I didn't know how horrible it was for older bucks, and will never do it again. I felt awful for days.

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA

It's quite a procedure, isn't it! We had our mini-horse colt gelded this year...Hubby was a little freaked out! He was bothered because the vet just tossed the testicles! I said "What do you want to have a funeral for them?" :ROFL: He took pics of our little wether boys, they were surgically done, under general anesthesia, they look like they are dead! I'll band from now on...it was way to expensive to have the vet do it.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

If she is preggy, and was even bred the 9th...150 days would be November 5th.....she could even go a few days beyond that.

10. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas

So the general consensus is yes Rosie is pregnant?

:sigh: I just wish there was a way to know for sure, ya know?

At least the kidding pen is already set up just in case of babies...

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

If she was bred that early and due in a month, get her held somehow and feel for kid movement...you would be sure then.On the right side and just in front of her udder..you'll feel movement there if she was in fact bred.

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

If you really want to know for sure (which I still lean to yes she is) I would say draw blood and send to Biotech. It is 7.50 for the test. The link is on my website.

13. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it. I've had goats for less than half a year now, so I've had to learn along by the seat of my pants.

What about Rosie specifically indicates pregnancy? I;m not doubting at all, I just want to know what too for in regards to change over the next month, etc.

I'm picking up another doe today, and she been running loose with a buck. I could be doing this again all over!

14. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas

Here is a better pic from tonite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ARRRG! I cant get the pic to rotate.

Just tilt you head to the left....

15. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA

:ROFL: :ROFL:

16. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas

Great,now the picture is showing up right, and I look silly.

Sigh.

17. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

O no, not silly at all! She would be a first freshener, right? What breed is she? As far as her being preggy, it takes a trained eye to see the difference in the shape of a does vulva...different does do not always have the same "preggy looking" backside. Her udder development is minimal, but I had a very young FF doeling that had no udder o speak of when she delivered....there was colostrum and apparanly enough to sustain her doeling too...I still supplemented with a bottle once a day and massaged the little does udder to get the production up, her udder did fill in though within 3 days so her baby did fine, just nursed more often and was a healthy , happy kid.

18. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas

Everyone here is so nice and helpful!

Rosie is a Nubian/Alpine Mix. At least, thats what the woman I bought her from told me. She does have a Boer Coloring, so there could be that in there too. She is a standoffish goat, and isn't one for affection. She wants to be with us, but doesn't want to be loved on.

Yes, Rosie would be a FF. She was bred last fall to a sterile buck, and I guess when I bought her and she was around my buck in June, he forced a heat cycle. Does that happen?

I've felt on her belly every day, and I guess I just dont know what to feel for. I can't tell if what I'm feeling is a kid, or echoes of the rumen.

I really, really, really hope y'all are right and she is pregnant. I would love to have Jack babies.

19. bbredmom

bbredmom New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Central Arkansas

Ok ,so I got hubby to hold/straddle her last night. I felt all over her belly, but I'm still not sure I felt any movement.

Does this mean there are multiples and they can't move much?

20. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I would say yes. I believe you do have a few weeks to go, like the first part of November.

Have you given her, her CDT shot? If not I would do it right away. She needs it at least 2 weeks before the baby comes. Then the babies need them at 2 weeks old and again 4 weeks after that.