Pooch Test Please~

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by ProctorHillFarm, Jan 14, 2010.

1. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

So I havent ever had to post a pooch test- I can usually tell, but these girls have me second guessing myself here

They are Nubians and will be kidding as yearlings- they are bred to our Nigerian Bucks for our first mini nubians.
    They are BOTH due on 3/29 but have NO baby belly whatsoever, possibly udders just starting, but maybe wishful thinking.
    I have not seen either of them in heat again.
    My thinking is maybe they are bred- and have singles, and since they are bred to a nigie buck they arent showing much because the babies are smaller? :whatgoat:

Im pretty confident this girl is bred:
    [​IMG]

But Im second guessing this one:
    [​IMG]

What do you think? :shrug:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The first is a definate yes...the 2nd, I'm guessing a no...her anus is too tucked to be a preggy pooch. Sorry :(

3. ProctorHillFarm

Thanks- that was my thought too! Sometimes I look at her and think well maybe, and other times I think definately not
    I have had a buck in that pen for the last month for "clean up" in case anyone recycled and I missed it, so maybe he did the job. We will know soon enough! :)

4. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I tried the pooch test on two yearling does last fall. They'd been exposed and I was nearly positive both had been bred to a buck. Well I looked at them at feed time closely. One (Gwen) had a very pushed out looking anus and her vulva was long and really unwrinkled. So going by that she would be bred. The other (Mariposa) had a folded anus and a wrinkled up vulva which usually means open. Going by girth I would have been more inclined to believe Mariposa as bred and Gwen as open. As it turned out, both went in heat in late August and cycled regularly until I bred them in late September.

So for me it was unreliable. I have only run that one test though. I do plan to try it more in the future to see if I can find a pattern. Are those Nubians?

5. ProctorHillFarm

Yes its definately not 100% accurate- especially if they are in heat- they can look really poochy.

We will see!

And yes these girls are Nubians- their kids will be our first mini-nubians (my step son's project! He got these two girls at a week old and bottle raised them himself :) )