Pooch test questions

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by zoomom, Apr 10, 2010.

1. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    I bred my girls 21 days ago (first one at least...........the other two a few days later) They are showing no signs of coming into heat, and the buck is very calm, not frantic like when i borrowed him and they were coming into heat (constantly sniffing the girls, sniffing their pee, peeing on his face, licking himself, etc)

Should i take pics now, and again in a month to compare?

My husband is going to think i am NUTS if he sees these pics..........i will have to put them in another folder than my normal pictures of the kids and stuff :laugh:

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH believe me they do think we are nuts taking pictures of their ChaCha's, but they do get use to it. Now my hubby is like"well, did she take"?
    Yes keep a eye on them, see if they start to show signs at all. Did the buck chase the girls all over the place when he went it there? Did you by any change see him breed any of them?

3. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    I saw him breed two of the three. I'm guessing he got number 3 when i wasn't looking b/c she was showing signs of coming into heat. He bred the first two repeatedly, esp my little one who has never experienced it before, and hasn't figured out escape mechanisms.

Now i have another question. Will he breed opportunistically? What i mean is, will he breed them even if they aren't in heat just b/c he got the opportunity?

The reason i ask is that like i said, no signs anyone coming back into heat, but the other day i was working on gradually getting them used to green grass again, and had them all on leads. While leaving the barn, everyone was in a crush, he came up right behind my littlest one, and went crazy, breeding her once and trying to a few other times (she kept ducking underneath the other two does to avoid him, and that was fun trying to untangle all the leads!) Once we were out in the field, everyone was busy eating, so i thought he forgot, but watched closely when they all went back in the pen, and he hasn't tried to breed her again. It was almost like he said "gee i'm behind her and she hasn't noticed me, so why not?"

4. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    bump :greengrin:

I'm still not seeing any signs of heat, and he hasn't tried to breed any of them, if they pee, he wanders over to check it out, but isn't acting all excited or anything.

So will they just breed b/c the doe is in front of them, not necessarily in heat, or is she likely not pregnant?

5. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Yes, pics are a good reference point. You might see a slight change after a month, but sometimes it's very obvious after a month.
    I'm sure you have already, but write down the date of this breeding you saw the other day, just in case she didn't take the previous time.
    My buck has only ever been interested in my girls, when they were in heat, others will post if they have experienced otherwise.