Pooch test what do you think. Added New Pic!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by WalnutGroveFarm, May 17, 2009.

1. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Here are some pics of a nigerian/pygmy cross doe that I have. Well I think she is a cross between these two anyways. Well I had her in with a little buck that I had, well I didnt think he was old enough, I never ever saw him trying to mount her are anything. But I just kinda got to wondering if she was cause she looked like she was picking up some weight. Anyways she would have been about 8 months when she got bred, if she did. So what do you think. Hope the pics are good enough.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Pooch test what do you think.

Yep, she's preggy....not only does her pooch show it but so does the udder forming.

Would you have a general idea of a breed date? From the size of that udder I'd have to say that she's at minimum 3 months along.
    I had a little doeling deliver at 9 months...was bred at 4 months and she did just fine.

3. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio

Im not sure but she has been in the same pen as him since he was born. He was born Jan. 7th 2009. But I never seen him act interested in her at all. He is only four months old at this time. But I havnt seen her come back into heat for a few months either. I thought that looked like a udder forming to and my husband thinks im crazy. So he would have been 8 weeks at the beginning of March so maybe she got breed in March cause I got worried about him breeding her, and took her out of the pen in the beginning of April. So she hasnt been in the pen with him in about a month and a half. Well least he is a pygmy goat and hopefully she will be ok. Here are some other shots of her, but she seems kinda small to me, but what do I know lol.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I'm on the fence on this one -- she reminds me of my Mia who could have gone either way with the pooch test but kept going into heat so I determined she wasnt bred.

Have you seen any heats in her? (uh you just answered that before I could post this)

8 months is plenty old enough - she looks fairly nice size

5. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio

Well something else that has changed here lately to, is that she is so friendly. She just about acts like a cat rubbing up against your legs. Jealous if you give any attention to anyone else. Here is the thing though that im really scared about was that I wormed her with ivemoc plus the other day cause I wasnt sure about her being pregnant or not. So I guess I might have did some harm, I hope not but there isnt anything I can do about it now. Thanks for the help though.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

For me that is not a clear enough picture of her cha cha. I would have to see a better full picture. She if she is bred, WOW she will be young.

7. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio

Well she will be over a year old when she delivers if she was bred at 8 months. That doesnt seem that young to me. I thought alot of people bred their does at 8 months. I will try to get better pics here in a little bit. Thanks

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I go more with size then age....so if she is a good size and weight and older then 7months then I plan to breed all goats from that point on. The one doe I kept open due to age and size is a pain in the butt and isn't earning her keep! grrr She eats as much as the pregnant does.

9. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio

Ok here is a better pic I think. Hope this one you can see better. Yea I have a two year old here that is big as a bear, she hasnt never kidded before. If I dont get her breed this fall Im going to sell her for a pet. Because she isnt pulling her keep either lol. Thanks again for your help.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes, definatly preggy, and the udder growth is telling me that she's at least 3 months along.

Actually, size over age is a big factor, she'll deliver just over a year of age....and I agree with you, she does look pygmy/nigi, very pretty too.

My little doe that was an "oops" was just 4 months old when she was bred, delivered at 9 months of age, BUT the big factor in her favor was her size.....at 4 months old she was half the size of my adults. As far as the wormer goes ivermectin is safe at any point, Ivomec Plus should not be given in the first 2 months....so I think you should be safe there.

11. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Man I hope I didnt hurt her by giving her that ivomec plus to her. Now I will fret about that since I dont know how far along she is. But if she is three months along then she would be due end of July or early Aug. maybe. Anyways thanks again for all your help.