Pooch test what do you think?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by WalnutGroveFarm, Oct 13, 2008.

1. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Hi all Im back with another pooch test. I bought this doe at the auction today, I know I know not a good place to buy goats. But I felt so sorry for her. :cry: She was brought in with a beautiful buck pygmy and a beautiful baby buck. She looks like she might be pregnant are maybe just had a baby pulled of her. Maybe the baby pygmy was her son who knows. I know after trimming her horrible hoofs I smell like a big buck and it wont go away. So was just wanting to see what you guys think. I think the pics at that good but she is real skittish so she runs when I get around her.

Also they have let her hoofs get real bad and they looked kinda splayed out. I trimed the best I could today but they need a lot of work. Can I ever get them to look good again? Also how much of the back of the hoof do you take off? Do you cut untill it gets pink looking. thanks.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    not sure if she is preggo..............but the trimming....yes you can defenetly get them back into shape...............go back every so often .........like every 2 weeks or so.....trim each time.....until you get to a pink color.........trim a little at a time because.......... if you take off to much .......you will get bleeding....do this until the hoofs are back to normal or close to.....it will take time.............as with the back part .........only trim........ if it ..shows uneven...........you can also.....trim between inside heel area ...if there is any over growth......

here are a couple of sites that might help....

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... ooves.html

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/hoof-trim-rf.htm

3. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Oh by the way this is not claire I put the wrong name on the pics. This is Sarah I just got her today. Thanks for the info.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    dont know about preg. but shes really pretty! make sure you remember to worm her and all of that good stuff.

toth - youre right about the hooves :thumb: works good for me when i buy a goat that needs it.

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

that's OK about the wrong name...thanks for the correction..........sarah is beautiful.........and you are very welcome....... :)

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she might have been penned with the bucks but as to being bred ---- I am going to say no right now, but that doesnt mean she wasnt recently bred and could show signs soon.

Trim every week or every two weeks, her hooves may never be perfect but you can fix them quite a bit just by being on top of her hoof trimmings

7. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Ok thanks for the replies. I was so hoping that she was pregnant and especially by the buck that she came in with he was gorgeous. But she almost looked like she was starting to bag up thats why I ask. Maybe she just weaned one not to long ago. I think she is beautiful to thanks. Will stay up on the hoof triming wish I knew how to do it better.

Do you think she looks like she may have just weaned one? Sorry hope my questions aint as stupid as they sound to me. Well at least if she isnt pregnant then she does really look healthy except for her feet. Thanks again.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok those pictures make her belly look low and more of a chance of pregnancy.

if her udder grows then you will know --- if not then it was from weaning.

did they shave her hair? it looks like she has some weird marks on her :question:

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Be sure to write down the date on the calender when you got her......just in case....when she was exposed to the buck she was penned with......... From your new pics her belly is looking more pregnant............. :shrug: Hope for the best.....

If you are going to put her in with a new buck of yours I would wait for at least 21 days for the next heat cycle....so you will know who's the daddy.......... :) :cool: Or if she shows signs of coming in......

If you think she is starting to bag up ....you should feel something in her bag ....put your hand around her bag and feel it with your hand.............Sometimes just by viewing can be deceiving

your questions are by no means stupid.............that's what we are here for. :hug:

10. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Ok I think I made my last post sound funny, what I was meaning to say is that I hope if she is pregnant it was by the buck she was brung in with. Not that I hoped she was pregnant. I just got to looking at her when I got her home and thought she might look a little pregnant. Im pretty new to goats so dont know what Im looking for. I did feel her bag yesterday when I had her in the goat stand and I wouldnt know how to explain how it felt except that it didnt feel empty just kinda hangy I know sounds funny.

Oh and they didnt shave her that is where they had glued the her auction number sticker into her hair and I had to cut it out. It left some awful spots on her. Would you all go ahead and do all the regular shots like cd&t and what else if she belong to you all. Thanks again for the replies and help.

11. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Ok just wanted to ask one more question, her hooves are splayed bad, I mean bad. So can some of the toe be cut off to shorten them up some because the toes are real long. Any ways doing the best I can for her sure wish I had someone who could show me how to get them looking better. Thanks again for your help.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yes you can cut off some toe .....here is a site that shows you how.........scrolldown to the pics.......on the 4th pic .........you will see a lines drawn.......... that is what you would like to create....is a flat surface ........there you will see the toe is to long....... :shades: ......it also has a video clip ........click on the 2nd one..........you do not have to trim that fast though ........ .take your time......

hope this helps....... :)

http://www.ahp-vet.com/healthysmrm/C322.htm

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The "floppy" udder could be from weaning, just watch if she fills it, it will mean that she is preggy( Precocious udder isn't as common in does that have kidded) To me she looks to be a cross of pygmy/ nigi and very pretty too....I like black goaties :greengrin:

The belly may not mean she's preggy....My pygmy/nigi doe Bootsie has a low slung belly even when she's not preggy :wink:

As far as her hooves go, trim a little every few days, they will come back to being normal with your diligence. :greengrin:

14. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Thats what I mean is it looks floppy like its just starting to fill up or starting to dry up. What does precocious udder mean? The little buck that was brought in with her looked to be six or seven months old cause he had longer horns then my two young ones have at four months. Oh and she isnt skittish anymore took her one day to get out of that, now she wants to be petted on and any time she sees me or anyone out in the back yard she starts calling for us. How long does it take them to dry up once they have weaned? If she doesnt come into heat in the next month then I should maybe prepare for birth. Sorry for all the questions just want to have all my bases covered.

Liz- I think she looks nigi/pygmy cross to, matter of fact I think all the ones I have does. I love the black to I think she is gorgeous and I almost like her better than I like my young ones. Just wish I knew how old she is. But she is here to stay she will retire here and be loved and adored till the end. Thanks again for all the replies and help. :)

15. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    You can tell how old they are (approximately) by their teeth. I think fiascofarm tells how. My older doe Izzy (5)dryed up pretty fast...but she still had a little bit of floppy udder...which is now starting to fill up with this subsequent pregnancy. Cocoa was a ff and her udder dryed up real fast and sucked up tight. So, my guess is she's preggers! So, you will be in the same boat I'm in...waiting for a doe to kid when you don't have exact dates! So, I look forward to your frantic "when's she due" topic in the kidding section! :scratch: Good luck, she's a pretty doe! I'd have her bloodwork done asap, so you know...you know?

16. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I sure dont know if she is are not but went ahead and did the worming and cd&t shot and did some more on her feet. But I did feel bag again while I had her up there and it did feel somewhat different then a week ago. So who knows, my sister thinks she is but she doesnt look like some of the goats i have seen on here that are pregnant. Thanks again for all the replies.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    you are welcome..............good luck with her............she is very pretty.... :)

18. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I thank you I think she is very pretty to. Every sense I did the shot and worming and trimming yesterday she hasnt wanted anything to do with me. Do you think that goats get mad at their owners. She dont want me petting her and is kinda staying away from me. Oh well I guess she will come around and then by then it will probably be time to trim again lol.

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    don't worry............ she will come around ................with a little persuasion with grain.....

..........Put her in a small pen with you .....have a bucket of grain............get a chair ....relax .. sit down in it.............and tease her with the grain.............talk to her softly.................and eventually she will give in to temptation.......and come to you..........it might take a little while ,,but eventually she will walk up to you.......maybe try to pet and scratch her when you can.... she will start liking the scratching .......usually it is between there horn area.............favorite spot.... :) :thumbup: