Pooch Test! :)

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by capriola-nd, Aug 5, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Okay, so here is a FF three-year old doe. Yes, I know, shouldn't have bought a doe that's not proven and three-years-old. She's actually my cousins' doe, she has blue eyes, and okay conformation, she was only $75 - supposedly registered but owner never sent me her papers. :sigh:
    That was besides the point. . . . first possible due date is end of September. What do you think? I was thinking she'd have more of an udder going, but her teats are a little longer and her pooch looks a little longer. I don't know. Opinions are welcome! :)

Sorry for the strange pics. She has a very spotted bum, so hopefully you can see a little! :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Teats look a bit small and to me she doesn't look ready for a Sep kidding. Could surprise you of course.

And by the way, I've been there and done that. Had does who were infertile and never settled. Mine were always obese and impossible to really reduce weight on.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, I don't think September kids, it could be possible though. I've had does that balloon the month before, just get huge. I was surprised when the kids come though cause I wasn't expecting it! Who is she bred to?

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I just let her live with our buck (Royal Blue, he was the only buck we had at the time). He never chases the does around unless they want him to. . . . she is not so nice to my other pregnant does, but nice to Royal. So, her first due date could be end of September. She could be due later on though. I don't know, never saw her actually get bred, unfortunately. I usually am able to see them get bred but this time I didn't see anything.

We'll probably just end up selling her as a possibly bred doe. I only want to stick w/ registered Nigerians.

5. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh yeah, I hate when you don't know if they're bred or not. You should get some cute little kids...sometime this year :greengrin: !

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Does anyone know if a pregnancy test for humans would work on a goat? Just a strange thought I'd throw out here. . . .

7. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It doesn't work,,,from what our vet said. I wish they would come out with some kind of livestock preg test...that would be soooo helpful!

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Man, that stinks. Oh well! I think she just MIGHT be bred. I don't like her too much so I'm all for finding her a good home, if my cousin wants to. She's a really sweet & friendly doe, loves people. We'll see what happens. Thanks for your thoughts!

9. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    No human pregnancy tests won't work. Human tests check for increased levels of progesterone I believe and goats have a different hormone that increases when they're pregnant so it won't work. Would just be too wonderful wouldn't it! I wish they'd make one, they'd have a huge market of people willing to buy them. Me included!!!

10. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    :slapfloor: you girls are just cracking me up today for some reason. I can see us all running around with a pee stick waiting to be there at the right time! Ha Ha I was in the pasture following the girls around trying to get cha cha pics, Hubby said "the neighbors are going to talk"!

11. farmgirls

farmgirls New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    There is a pregnancy test called BioTracking. You have to draw blood and send it into a lab, but it works all the same. The results are usually 100% accurate so you can't go wrong with that. Here is their website: http://www.biotracking.com/index.php