Poofy butt area?? PICTURES.!!!!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by bree00, Jul 21, 2010.

1. bree00

bree00 New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    South Carolina
    i have two 7 month old does and they look poofy in there butt area...they've looked like this for a while(since i could remember)...does this mean they are still imature?? and not ready to breed?? or does this mean pregnant??

2. glenolam

glenolam New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Canterbury, CT
    Re: Poofy butt area??

To my knowledge, it doesn't mean anything unless it's really flabby and red, which means kidding is on the way. Is there any discharge? Could it just be that you're only noticing this when they come into heat?

FWIW, all my does look poofy in that area, even the 3 mo olds - and there's NO chance anyone's bred b/c I don't have my own buck yet.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Where they exposed to any young bucklings or bucks...? If so...how long ago? There is also a possibility... if they shared a fence line with a buck... they could get preggo.... or they are just in season... are they always poofy 24/7? Do they act as if.. in season?

Is it possible... to get pics of their pooch?

4. bree00

bree00 New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    South Carolina

well those are the only two does that look weird. there mothers looks different from them and so does another doe we have...will get a pic tommorow

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

:chin: will have to see what the pic shows....

6. bree00

bree00 New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    South Carolina

okay this is one of them, but they both kinda look like this..

Attached Files:

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

My 2 year old never bred pygmy doe has a pooch that looks similar, she's even puffier when she's in heat so unless this young lady of yours hasn't been near a buck, I'd say it's normal.

8. bree00

bree00 New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    South Carolina

yeah shes been near a buck..so that means she pregnant?

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

No... how old was the buck and how long ago was she exposed?

10. bree00

bree00 New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    South Carolina

heres another..

Attached Files:

11. bree00

bree00 New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    South Carolina

well hes 2or 3 years old but hes smallhes a dwarf nigiarian.. and we have never seperated him from the does. so she been around him ever since she was born. hes good with kids...and is dehorned.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If she has been exposed to the buck.....all along and she is now 7 months old... then the possibly of her being pregnant... is very high... To be sure... a vet can check her..... :hug:

13. bree00

bree00 New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    South Carolina
    is she big enough to have babies without complications?? there nigerian mixes.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well...having a mature buck housed with does of varying ages tends to make the chances of breeding at too young an age very high.
    Mini breeds do not have a "set" breeding schedule....and doelings can come into fertile heat as young as 2 months of age, at this point, due to her age, theres good reason to believe she is pregnant and a vet call to confirm may be a good idea....besides size being a factor, some very young does are just not mature enough to handle motherhood. If a vet can't be contacted, and if that buck is still with the does, I would remove him ASAP and watch those baby girls for udder development...usually FF start at 6 weeks before delivery with building an udder and please try to be with them when they are due to deliver, they may need some assistance. I am positive that my phone # is listed in the help line section with others if you need some coaching. My prayers are with you and your babies.

16. bree00

bree00 New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    South Carolina
    yeah we are always there to help them when they give birth..we are planning on putting ga fence up for the buck soon, but we havent had the money lately...could she die giving birth or would the babies die?? she weighs about 40-50 pounds im not sure but there kinda heavy.