The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed this before in my doe but didn't think anything of it until I noticed that it never happened to my other girls. She will get a berry stuck on each side of her anal opening. It just sits there and gets soft and smelly. When I first really examined it I thought it was a hemorrhoid or something, but then I was able to wipe it away. She was NOT happy about this. I cleaned her off but noticed they were back today. Is this normal? Is she just messy or does she have some sort of infection? She is going to be breed here in the next week when she goes into heat but she hasn't been bred yet.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm no expert but sometimes a berry or two will stick to some of my girls. Unless it changes consistency, has a real off smell (not normal), or a color other than one of the many shades of brown I wouldn't worry about it.

I have an alpine ready to go into heat and she doesn't want anything to do with me around her backside. I'm pretty sure that's normal as well.

·
I'm watching you
22,267 Posts
Goats have an oil gland right above their anus. Could it be that you are seeing the black thick grease that this gland produces?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not black. It's a light brown color.. As if a berry sat there wet and started to dissolve. It's sticky... again as if it had been sitting in moisture. So basically it just looks and has the consistency of a soaked poop berry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts