Poop from this one wether

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by whatknott, Feb 19, 2009.

1. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Only on this sight can I put "poop" in the subject! I traded a neutered sheep for a wether goat right after Christmas. He was in another petting zoo and I needed a goat more than I needed another sheep. So we met halfway, and did the trade. When I first saw him, I thought he looked a little scruffy like wormy. But I decided he was very friendly and I could fix the wormy problem. He rode in a dog crate in our van and I noticed his poop was a different odor than our goats; also discovered that they were larger in size too. Found out she was feeding corn to him, so attributed the odor to corn. Isolated him, wormed him with Valbazen. In about 4 days, he had major diarrhea and a little weepy eye. Had no success in getting the diarrhea to clear up completely; would get firmer, but never real nice pellets. It was literally pudding most of the time, finally put him on penicillin (he's eating normal this whole time) and the pen cleared up the eye as well as straightened out the poop. So after about a month, put him in with my other goats and sheep. He's extrememly friendly - almost too friendly as he gets obnoxious. Still has that wormy look though; his manure is still much larger in size and has an usual odor. so gave him some ivermectin orally and we're back to gooshy poop again. I really don't know what to do. Still scruffy coat, looks potbelly, can feel spine and ribs. Would like to find another home for him, but afraid to do it since i don't know what is happening with this poop thing.
    I keep thinking there is a clue to the odor as well as the larger size pellets. Any ideas from anyone? I'm not really wanting to spend vet money on this one.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    have his stool tested for cocci.....

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Scruffy coat can be attributed to copper imbalance. Goats need copper in their diets but sheep don't. Copper is toxic to sheep. I would feed him separately and put a good dose of good loose minerals containing a high amount of copper in his feed, around 1700ppm. This may also help with the pudding poops.

4. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Well...I don't know much about cocidiosis but To what you say I would think he has it... I hope he recovers! :)

5. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    when he was isolated, I gave him free choice minerals and he was eating them really fast and then he stopped and started chomping really hard with his teeth - not sure what it was all about - it was kind of weird. I also noticed at that time, he was very noisy chewing his hay too. I did treat him for coccidia the first time he had the diarrhea, but no improvement. It was the penicillin that worked the first time.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    you have covered alot of angles...with no solution....I would suggest taking the goat in for testing ...or ...at the very least... have his stool tested.....

e-coli?

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Try giving him some probiotic paste....it's easily available at tractor supply, the poop thing is likely his rumen being upset....as far as looking "different"...are the berries brownish and large? Mine have gotten odd looking poop from a batch of different hay ....and cleared up to normal smallish black berries once it was gone.

8. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    i actually think I did give him probiotics when he was pen - but can't remember for sure. Wouldn't hurt. I thought the big round poops and the different smell was from her using corn and mostly out in pasture. But before this latest bout of diarrhea, he was back to big and round and smelly again. Hadn't thought about e.coli

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Try some shredded beet pulp dry. Seems to clear up any loose poops around here. :wink:

He may also have a sensitive tummy and beet pulp is very easy on the tummy.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    be careful introducing "new" in his diet ...that ...in itself can cause scouring...... :wink:

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well yes, I wouldn't recommend feeding a bunch of it to him all the sudden. Add it slowly. :thumb:

And that makes me think that maybe all these different things you have been giving him has his tummy upset. Try sticking to one thing with him and maybe things will calm down with his tummy.

Antibiotics can kill all the good bacteria in his gut and that may be his issue. I think probios everyday until he starts pooping better would be a good idea.

12. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    he did get better and had been doing fine (but bigger poop and smelly) until about 4 days ago - nothing different in diet, no change in setup. just weird that there is always this strange smell in his poop (and believe me I know goat smell as our goats ride in our van to do our petting zoos nearly every day in the summer!!)

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    try putting baking soda... down his throat....it also helps the gut. with the probiotic :)

Are you feeding him grain?

14. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I'd try baking soda free fed. I keep some in the pen at all times. They eat it when they have an upset tummy. It helps keep their ruemen bacteria balanced. If that still doesn't help, you can try some pepto. It may also be that his tummy is adjusting to the changes in diet. Baking soda is your best bet I'd say though if you have tried every thing else.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I find that Some goats ...don't eat baking soda ...free choice ....I would put it down his throat to insure he gets it.... :wink: :greengrin:

16. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    How do you get it down their throat pam?

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    you can mix a little water with it....to make it thin enough to go through a big syringe ...slowly administer it.. down the throat.... :wink:

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I had a goat kid with faul smelling poop and it was a bowl infection. He had that very pot bellied look and didnt loose it for a while -- it realy messes with their whole body.

I tried worming, cocci meds the whole bit and it only made him worse. 3 days of LA 200 twice a day and his poop was good. still took months for him to recover but he did and he grew fine and larger then any of my other goats.

if his bowls are messed up as it sounds like that would explain why he gets diarreah when you give him wormer. Wormer is harsh on their bowls and an already irritated condition will make it worse.

Once the antibiotics are done then you want to be agressive with supportive theropy. Probiotics or yogurt as well as good minerals and vitamines. some Nutri Drench would be a good idea.

thats just my advise....I know everyone has their own oppions.

19. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I may try the LA200 Stacey. I gave him one dose of it when he arrived just as a normal preventative. But are you sure of that dosage? twice a day for 3 days?? I thought the purpose of La200 was that you gave it every 2-3 days because LA meant long acting. Just want to double check before I start that. But a bowel infection kind of makes sense.

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well you can do it once a day or once every other day. But when he was on deaths door the lady who suggested a bowl infection wanted me to keep that medicine in him.

However you go about giving the antibiotic I do think that giving the antibiotic is what will help him.