The Goat Spot Forum banner

Poop Problems

710 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  happybleats 
#1 ·
Hi!

I know this has been discussed A LOT, but I can't find quite the info I need...

I have a 9 month old nubian/boer/nigerian mix named Sunshine who is moved around my 3 acre property for brushing. This morning, I let them out of the yoat house (they are locked in at night for safety), and I saw that she had pudding-texture poop - not particularly stinky. Just messy.

I watched her for a bit. She is eating and drinking and playing, but she sometimes drops her tail, so I know she's not feeling 100%.

Couldn't get her temp by myself. Her eyelids are nice and red. Did a quick fecal, but the egg count is acceptable, and I didn't see much in the way of cocci. I called the vet, but she can't see my Sunshine until Monday. Why do these things always happen on a Friday?

So I went to work. Came home about an hour ago. Goatie seems fine. I saw her poop. It's clumpy - no more pudding. Does that mean she's improving? Was it maybe something she ate?

I still plan on having the vet come out Monday. What should I look for that would constitute an emergency vet call?

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Maybe fresh greens. Give her probiotics before setting out to graze..also they should have hay in their night pen..which will help set the rumen up good

#4 ·
They have free feed hay and in their pen. I give probiotics daily.

Hmm... It's been almost 2 months since they got their copper bolus. Sunshine was the one who was showing signs of deficiency. Is diarrhea a symptom? When I noticed it before, she had the start of a fish tail and frizzy neck hair. Her tail is fine now, but her neck hair is still frizzy.

#5 ·
Yes, Scours can be a sign of copper need

Reactions: Moers kiko boars
#7 ·
I would see her over all copper deficiency signs..its only been a month ish..so may be too soon

Reactions: Aunt Angus
#8 ·
Ok. That's what I was thinking, but I'm just so worried, ya know? I'm sure I'll get the hang of this eventually. Haha!

I withheld grain tonight. We'll def see in the morning if there's puddles in the goat house. Ew. If it's bad, I can always call the emergency vet.

#9 ·
Wait 4 months before attempting to give another copper bolus, if she looks like she needs it then give it.

I have never heard of a goat getting loose stool from copper deficiency.

If a goat eats too much of something new can cause loose stool.
Cutting back on time out, feeding some rough age hay may help.

#10 ·
I have never heard of a goat getting loose stool from copper deficiency.
Here is some info on that Pam. This is from Cornel....

"Profound primary copper deficiency, or secondary copper deficiency associated with an excess of dietary molybdenum has been associated in ruminants with chronic diarrhea and weight loss, as well as a poor hair coat that may also exhibit changes in hair color."

Reactions: Aunt Angus
#12 ·
Sunshine's poop was just fine today! Yay! Must've been something she ate, I guess.

The last time I gave her copper was less than 4 months after her previous bolus (I think it was 3 months), but she showed several signs: fishtail, frizzy neck hair, etc. I was told then that sometimes there are goats who need it more frequently than every 4 months. I don't mind waiting. Goodness knows, the goaties don't mind, either! I just don't want a significant deficiency to develop.

#13 ·
Copper needs depend on many factors, such as antagonists in our water, ground ect..I copper my goats usually every 3 months but have done in 2 because of issues we battle here. While we need to be cautious..some of us do need it more often while other 2 times a year works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.