The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a struggle getting the new capretto babies onto bottles, since they were 2 - 3 wks on mum. I didnt get them early enough

Had them for about 32 hrs now, still not accepting bottle very well

They didnt drink this AM now I have decided to leave them to get really really hungry. SO of course the poor tackers are screaming their heads off

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Have you tried tube feeding them? I myself would be scared to, but if I had someone experienced help me I would feel confident enough. Or are they too old to?

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could tube them if I wanted but that would kinda defeat the purpose, since I'm trying to graft them onto bottles

If I cant get them drinking in another day I'll turn them back out with their mums

I think part of the problem is I was away yesterday and mum fed them, but she fed them every two hours, got a small amount of milk squuezed into them each time, so they werent all that hungry really

·
Super Moderator
82,188 Posts
Keeping them a little hungry is OK .....sounds like your mum... has at least gotten some into them so ....they are not totally starving.....yes ...I agree that tube feeding does defeat the purpose , but it was a great idea....if they haven't eaten ...for a very long period of time ..... it is good that ...you have the option to put them back on there mum...if need be.. :wink: ....Good luck keren.... :pray: :hug:

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Keren, How are they doing?

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up putting them on a doe last night. I was able to source a young kid yesterday and place orders for 6 - 10 kids with two other suppliers that should have them born in the next 2 - 3 days. So with those available I figured it wasnt worth my time fiddling with these two.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts