Poor Goat Herd Behavior

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by CarolinesNubians, Sep 19, 2020.

1. CarolinesNubians

CarolinesNubians New Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Oregon
    My mom doesn’t want a temporary electric fence but I’m having big issues having the goat herd free range. The issue is that when I’m down there managing the other animals the herd surrounds me and the babies wind through my legs and trip me up, and carrying food to the cattle is a pain with goats jumping and hitting my legs. Trying to hit them away with a stick doesn’t do anything, they don’t really care. What’s a good deterrent for goats that have such poor behavior? No aggression, just obsession over possibly getting food. Worms aren’t and haven’t been a problem. Does anybody have any tricks for this issue?

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  2. Noisy Bottle Babies

Noisy Bottle Babies Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    Water bottle with vinegar and water spray them when they do something you don't want or like, for example we had one doe that would constantly challenge us and knock our knees causing us to fall but now with the water bottle she doesn't do it , but if that doesn't work then what we've had to do is lightly tap them on the nose with a stick and that's seemed to confuse them

Moers kiko boars, NDinKY and MadHouse like this.

3. alwaystj9

alwaystj9 Active Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    What size goats? If its full-size Boers, I'd consider a cattle prod.
    I've got to be practical, if I go down, no one will be getting any feed for a long time...

4. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Explain how dangerous it is to you if you fall in a pasture with goats and cows tryin to argue over feed...

I fell tryin feed the cows one day. It was NOT a good experience because all of the what ifs ran through my head really fast.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  5. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Very dangerous

6. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Definitely this. We have minis and it is still difficult getting through at feeding time, to the point we’re figuring out ways to not have to go in to feed. If these are large goats and there are cattle in the mix I’d be very concerned. They’re not being mean, just pushy, it’s what goats do.

Spray bottles with water definitely work for us, but you might need something stronger depending on your goats. Temporary electric mesh to contain them would be likely best.

HMNS, MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with what has been said.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  8. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Another thought. Put feeders outside of the fence and they can stick their noggins through to eat. Or i have also seen feeders that are like a box that tilts out to fill and you tilt them back in to feed. No need to go inside. Or put a trough right beside the fence where all you need do is dump it in over the fence.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  9. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Sfgfwife you are right. Even the cattle can use them.

MadHouse likes this.
  10. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Active Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Is there a separate area where you can put them temporarily while you do your other chores? I'm thinking you could maybe put out a little feed to entice them in, then lock them up. My goats are normally well behaved - and I don't have very many - but I have to really watch them around feed. They see that bucket and the mob mentality sets in...it can take a lot to get their attention when they're so focused on eating. So I just normally tie mine up on short tethers in the barn before I get the feed out in order to control the chaos. But again, that only works because I have a small herd.

MadHouse and HMNS like this.
  11. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I agree, it is dangerous! I couldn't imagine walking through the pen even with our small herd and trying to feed other animals. It's bad enough going in with animal crackers and not be knocked down. Our girls are crazy at feeding time, all logical goat thinking is thrown out!
    I highly recommend you guys make an area to lock your goats so you can safely feed. Even if you can use some sort of goat panels or if they are hornless you might be able to use cattle panels. Pallets secured with t-posts can even work - just something for those times when you are doing chores or need the goats to be out from under your feet.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  12. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Even with my two feeding time is chaos. They are in their sleep pen untill everything is fed. They are the last to be opened. Chevani will be stsmpeded

MadHouse likes this.