Poor Levi has arthritis pain

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Barbara Martin, Nov 21, 2020 at 5:44 AM.

1. Barbara Martin

Barbara Martin New Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Rangeley, Maine
    I have a male Pygmy goat who is having some arthritis pain , I was told to give him aspirin , just wondering if any of you have any suggestions of what to do for him.

MadHouse likes this.
  2. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Welcome Barbara. :groupwelcome:
    Some one will have a number of answers

happybleats and MadHouse like this.

3. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I would have the vet out to check him over. They can give meds that are longer acting and better for his rumen that over the counter aspirin.

MadHouse likes this.
  4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Can you describe the situation that has led to the arthritis pain? Is he a senior? Does he have CAE? What indicates pain?

happybleats likes this.
  5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

There are also OTC natural supplements you can use. Many horse arthritis supplements work.

happybleats likes this.
  6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Welcome to the forum!! Can you tell us more about Levi? Age? Has he been tested for CAE? Has a vet seen him?
    Vet can prescribe Meloxicam which is safer for long term pain relief. There are herbs that are very effective to help with inflammation and pain.

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. Barbara Martin

Jan 17, 2019
    Rangeley, Maine
    The problem is we live in rural Maine and don’t have access to a Vet. He is 8 years old and quite large, the only male and he just lays around all day. That is his routine. He started limping this week , it has been quite cold here. My husband makes him walk around everyday or he wouldn’t. I had a woman who owns a goat farm come last weekend to cut all their hooves. She was the one who told me to give him aspirin

9. Barbara Martin

Jan 17, 2019
    Rangeley, Maine
    Levi is 8 and very lazy. He lays around all the time. My husband makes him walk around just to get some exercise. So he’s limping . We don’t really have access to a vet, we live in very rural Maine. I had a woman who owns a goat farm come last weekend to cut all their hooves, she was the one who told me to give him aspirin

happybleats likes this.
  10. Barbara Martin

Jan 17, 2019
    Rangeley, Maine
    What OTC supplements do you suggest

11. Barbara Martin

Jan 17, 2019
    Rangeley, Maine
    He is limping and we had a woman who owns a goat farm come over last weekend to cut their hooves, she suggested aspirin as we dont really have access to a vet here in rural Maine

12. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Is he knees swollen? Pulling blood and testing for CAE is not hard or expensive. There are youtube videos showing how or maybe your goat friend can help. Its good to know if this is his issue. At any rate...MSM for horses can help along with daily aspirin. If you have access to quality Essential oils..there are some that can help reduce inflammation. Flax seed oil can help reduce inflammation. Getting up and moving more is good.

13. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Yes, Rangeley can be quite cold, I live near Gardiner/Augusta.

Did the pain start before or after his feet were trimmed?

I have used Banamine (short term) or Meloxicam (long term but really harsh on the stomach) {prescriptions from a vet}. The meloxicam I take daily for arthritis, so I share mine with the goats. CBD oil/chews help with pain. I use that on myself and my animals with really great results. Massaging the joints and areas surrounding the painful areas might help, as would mild physical therapy. Getting him moving will help keep his joints mobile. Joint compounds for horses work great for goats-MSM, Hyaluronic acid, Glucosamine and Chondroitin given daily will help, but it usually takes 4-6 weeks to really start working.

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Could be injury, if it just out of the blue happened with limping.

Any hoof rot?
    Have you checked between his toes for sores?

Lamitis? Heat to the hooves or any strange distortion to them.

Have you checked from shoulder all the way down to the hoof for any swelling, sensitivity?

Goats Rock likes this.
  15. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Any hoof rot? Smell?

Front or back leg?

An out of the blue limp is not usually arthritis. I would test for arthritis CAE via a blood sample.

MSM for horses is good.

16. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I had one limp for a couple weeks, he just had a sprain.

17. Barbara Martin

Jan 17, 2019
    Rangeley, Maine

18. Barbara Martin

Jan 17, 2019
    Rangeley, Maine
    He was limping before the lady came to trim his hooves, she said his hooves were fine. I think it’s more in his shoulder, he’s always lying down. I’m gonna try the glucosamine and see if that helps what CBD treats do you use?

19. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    This may be an unpopular opinion but I'm not so sure about CBD, I've never seen it help, and I've surely given it the 'ol college try.

Definitely try MSM and glucosamine. Acupuncture and massage is good too. A shot of banamine for pain and inflammation may help if it's an injury.