POOR MANS' CATTLE

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Duchesse, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Duchesse

Duchesse Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Roxboro,NC
    In an article I read a DVM suggested that anyone starting a new herd or adding a newcomer should test for BRUCELLOSIS, CAE, CL, JOHNE'S, and TOXOPLASMOSIS. Last I checked, along with the $64 initial exam, the GRAND TOTAL $497.00 U.S. currency. :shocked:

Although the above advice came from a DVM, I want some practical advice from real herders,

Which of these test do you consider to be an ABSOLUTE must before adding a newcomer to your herd?

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I ONLY buy from clean herds. So, if they have any of the above diseases I won't buy from them. I am only testing for CAE this year, because I have a young herd that comes from tested herds.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, Chelsey, You say you only buy from clean herds. How are you 100% that they are clean? Just asking.
    Here they say if you buy from clean herds, the only way you know they are clean herds is if you SEE the results from the test yourself, and you see the results from the animals you are purchasing. They can not be a old test, but I do not know how old they can be.

Here some of us require people to have a CAE, CL, and Johne's test, and they have to be no older then two month old.

I know of some people that show Pygmy's and they have to have all of those tests in order to show, at ever test, and they can not be older the 30 days. All but the TOXOPLASMOSIS. They do require a TB test instead.

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I have seen their records, especially the records of the particular animal I am buying.

5. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Oh lol I posted before reading your whole post.

6. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    And I buy from very reputable breeders.

7. Duchesse

Duchesse Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Roxboro,NC
    Buying from a "reputable" breeder is the ideal situation. All situations are not ideal. It would be great if all goats came with a Biosecurity screen (CAE, CL, Johne's, Brucella, Toxo) but everyone doesn't do all these test. If your herd consist of all registered ,purebred ,enobled, and titled show goats then by all means don't take ANY chances. But what about the average goat lover who happens on a goat at the sale barn, or on a hobby farm, or someone grows weary of caring for their herd and gives them away. These situations are not ideal. You may see a very nice goat among these "giveaways" what do you do if you want one?

What test do you run? All? None?

How long do you isolate this newcomer? I know you should be looking for eye discharge, abcesses, abnormal stools, feeding problems, did I forget anything?

What if you can't verify the vaccinations or testing?

What if no vaccines were given?

This is not the best scenario for buying a goat or taking freebies but if you saw a goat you really wanted ,offered by a "backyard" breeder or at the sale barn, How would you proceed?

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I do not vaccinate my goats, I will gladly vaccinate the goat a buyer is purchasing if they wish for them to be vaccinated. So vaccinations to me, I would really like to goat I am getting not to have vaccinations. Personal experience.

I am working on setting up a quarantine area for any new goats, it is my current project!

9. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Can you breakdown that price for me? I know vet costs are going up by leaps and bounds but that seems more than twice what I expected.
    Also it is possible to draw blood and send it to labs yourself- this seems to save over 50%.

10. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom Guest

Oct 5, 2007

11. Duchesse

Duchesse Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Roxboro,NC
    Here's the breakdown:

Brucella 66.50
    CAE 103.00
    Toxoplasmosis 79.50
    CL. 84.00
    Johne's 99.00
    Exam 64.00
    -------------------------------
    Total 497.00

The receptionists offered info for a finance company that could help me at 22% interest :ROFL:

I thought goats were called the "Poor Mans' Cattle" :shrug:

Anyway Thanks for all the info on handling "suspect" goats.

place suspect goats on isolation/observation for a minimum of 2 weeks

delouse

deworm

vaccinate

if financially able do a complete Biosecurity Screen. ( CAE, CL, Johne's, Brucellosis, and Toxoplamosis )

12. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Boy I thought our vets were high- the combination cl/cae blood test done at UC Davis cost me $65 when done by the vet and $23 when done by a local goat association. I haven't done the others so don't know but I'd check around - I bet someone can and will do it a lot cheaper.

13. Duchesse

Duchesse Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Roxboro,NC
    I had to seek a DVM that handles "exotic pets" to get the referrals I received. Vets that deal with anything other than dogs and cats are few and far between in Long Island, NY and goat herders are even more scarce. Some vets had higher prices than this. I'm not experienced at drawing blood so that is not a viable option at this time. Depending on where you live you sometimes have to take what you can get and work with it. :shrug:

14. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Here it is $24 for CAE, $13 for Brucellosis and $12 for TB. I forgot the prices on CL and Johnes

15. KikoFaerie

KikoFaerie New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    So. Central Kansas
    We do pretty much what has been stated above - Goats get wormer before they are unloaded, dry lotted for 12-24 hours so eggs are dropped in a dirt pen, then moved into quarantine and dusted with DE for external parasites, checked over thoroughly, temps taken, (if for no other reason to establish a baseline temp for each goat, as they vary so much), fed calming and antibiotic/antiviral herbs for first week to boost immune systems from stress of transportation. The only thing I would add is we quarantine for 30 days whenever possible. Don't test for anything unless we see something to indicate it might be needed.
    We do try to buy from established breeders, but that is no guarantee - and not necessarily the breeder's fault if something goes awry.

16. Duchesse

Duchesse Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Roxboro,NC
    Those are great prices Chelsey, are they for your local vet in NC?

Are they for a lab I could send a blood sample to?

:idea: Maybe I could ask the vet to show me how to draw the blood. Then I could test any new arrivals myself.

17. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I don't know, I go through the vet here. Those prices include drawing blood etc.. I also want to learn how to draw blood SOMEONE (LOL) on here told me that it is really easy, so I think I will try after I watch the mobile goat vet do it. There was a whole discussion on drawing blood, here it is - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1896

18. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    I test for CL always and I am going to start alternating between CAE and johnes testing.
    CL is my biggest concern because it is so contagious and seems to be the most prevalent.

19. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
  20. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    oh and we don't test any goats under a year old. Doing some of the test before they are 1 is useless because some diseases won't show up until they are older.

It cost me $340 for the vet to come out to my place, draw blood for CL and Johnes on 12 goats, give my 2 LGDs their rabies shot and test for heart worms.

Those prices you quoted are ridiculous.