The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any idea why one of my nannies has ripped the wool off my ram?
She keeps biting him and pulling on his wool. Could this be a symptom of being in heat?
I've always kept my sheep & goats together but have never seen this.
I hate to separate him but now i have to.

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Humm...Never had that happen before...is the ram young? Is your ewe in heat? An eager young ram might try to breed a ewe who is not in heat..she could get pretty mad..

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I had a friend that had horses in with their sheep and the horses always ate/pulled the wool out for some reason. When I had sheep I noticed that other sheep would pull the wool around the back of the neck looking for grain that had been dropped while they were all eating together. They never actually pulled the wool out but it would get cleaned/groomed and parted daily by all of the flock checking for left overs.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It's not the ewes that are abusing this poor ram, it's my 11 year old Sanaan nanny. She keeps chasing him and head-butting him and pulling his wool. I know she is in season and I did have a billy for a few weeks. The only billy I have now is her own 8 month old kid.
Could she be doing this because she is still in heat? or could this be a diet deficiency? I noticed she actually eats the wool she rips off of him.

For now, I have him separated from the other animals until he "recovers" but I am concerned that if she is doing this because she may be lacking some nutrients, I need to find out what she is lacking and get it for her.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
poor guy...that ius strange behavior..I would think your saanen is lacking something in her diet...to pull the wool out is one hting but to eat it is another...does she have access to loose minerals made for goats? if not I would suggest running her (and any goats) seperate from sheep and keep loose minerals down...if they need to run together, consider pinning them up at night seperate and having the minerals set out for them then...sheep also need loose minerals..but not goat minerals do to the copper...If seperating is not a choice..then set out a quality Sheep mineral and then copper bolus your goats

·
Super Moderator
14,767 Posts
She might just be a odd ball like 90% of my goats. I have some that would eat anything just because they could. My one doe will chew on a tarp till it frays then pull the strings out and eat. Also maybe there is hay in the wool that she can smell and that's what she's after.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.