Poor Showing at the District Fair

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by tremayne, Oct 2, 2008.

1. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    My daughter attends a high school with a working farm on campus. The have a small herd of assorted goats, Boer X's, La Manchas, Alpines. Lots of Boer X kids, all born this last spring.
    They've never looked anything like the beautiful pictures you all have posted of your goaties. :roll:

The school goats, for as sweet as they are and as much as we love them, look "scrankly". The Boer X's are built a lot more like dairy goats, and not in a good way. The dairy goats look a little better, but nobody looks really good.

My daughter showed her Boer X, Cosby, yesterday. Cosby's so good in the ring and my daughter knows what she's doing, but the two of them were no match for the gorgeous animals brought by other FFA and 4H kids. My daughter placed, but very low.

The faulty adviser is new to goats (we are, too). He was amazed at how bad the school goats look in comparison to the others at the fair. It's time to get really serious about the goats, learn what needs to be done to get and keep them healthy, and actually get some focus on what the direction of the herd should be. I think we thought we were doing okay. Well, clearly not! :oops:

So, even though we didn't do well, what we all gained in awareness is priceless.

Just wanted to share. Any and all comments or advice would be welcome. :help:

Anna, aka Tremayne

PS. I just got some good news about one of my daughter's other fair animals: Her Broken-Tortie Holland Lop Senior Doe (rabbit) won first place in her category. :leap: Whew!

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    That is part fo why I love shows, they let you compare health, weight and conformation to other farms. I feed Fastrack (a probio), Kelp and a good quality mineral as well as 18% grain and a good quality hay. I have a few goats I need to get some weight on (milkers). It is all a learning process :grouphug:

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Oh, and check the goat's eyelids to see about their worm levels, if they are wormy is will keep their condition lower..

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well if you are asking advise on how to get your goats condition up here are some basics that you can start with

What kind of feed are you feeding them? is it a 16% protein feed or higher?

Do they have loose minerals available? at the very least do they have a mineral block?

Have you checked and or treated for worms recently? Best to take a stool sample to the vet and have him run a fecal to determin what kind of worms you are dealing with so you can treat accordingly. Not all wormers treat all worms so you want to choose the right wormer for the right worms.

Exersize will build muscle -- do they have play things to jump and climb on?

Do they have hay at least twice a day if not 24/7? (mine get it twice a day :) )

Chelsey mentioned Fastrack -- this is a wonderful product made by Conklin. It isnt something you can find just anywhere usually. YOu purchase it from a distributor. There is a thread about it on this board, I will look it up.

Everything is a learning experience -- next year you can show those 4H and FFA students what awesome animals you do have. :)

5. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Feed and exercise are important. But you need nature muscle and good body build to start with. I'm guessing you showed at the Fresno Fair? If so you had tough competition. White Rail goats, Tehachapi Mountain Boer Goats, Moonstone Ranch all probably had goats their. They all had goats at Antelope Valley and Kern County and where in the top go for grand at every fair. I would start by evaluate all your does and keeping only the best. If you don't know what to look for ask someone to help and teach you and the students at the same time. You need someone who won't sugar coat the truth and yes it hard to hear your favorite one has the worst body build. Then find the best buck you can afford he is half or more of your genetics for the whole herd. A good buck can make a big difference. Keep the best does out of this breeding. When the does(2yrs) are old enough to breed get a new and better buck. Also if you showed in a market class a lot the judges will not place a doe higher then 3rd place. Do you know who your judge was? There are some breeders who will give 4-h and FFA kids a break on price to get them started. One may even be will to let you borrow a buck. Then for the next 5 months learn everything you can about feeding. I know FFA teachers are busy and hard working but they don't always know the best way to feed. I couldn't believe it when in Ag teacher by us told a student you can feed sheep feed and no hay and still do fine. No you can't sheep feed will make a goat to fat and they need hay to keep the stomach working right. Hope I didn't go on to much and that this make sense. Shelly

P.S. Here a link to California breeder if you want to look or find one to talk to .
    http://www.lovenmranch.com/Californiabreeders.htm

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Everyone has given you a pretty good start here...The worming program was my first thought.
    I will add that my 50% Boer/Nubians do not do very well at shows. One last yr did make it to Reserve. (judge has strong dairy background)
    The 88% Boers do much better.
    My girls get quality free choice alfalfa, a 17.50 grain ration with a handful or two BOSS (black oil sunflower seed) and a tablespoon livestock yeast. A good loose mineral with copper really helps. Sheep minerals do not cut it.