Poppy had twins at lunch....doeling hadnt nursed yet!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Dodge 'Em, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Dodge 'Em

Dodge 'Em New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Cedar Hill,TN
    The only doeling I have had (13 bucklings so far) and she is a dufus!!! :GAAH: OMG I have tried ALL afternoon to get her to nurse. Buckling has nursed about 10 times so far, NO trouble for him. In fact he just lays under mama and nurses. LOL :) She has tried to nurse mama's neck and ears all day. She does go to the flanks, but reaches as high as she can on her side. I have shoved her head under, put the teat in her mouth (as she screams) folded her front legs under, scratched her rear, CUSSED! prayed and begged her to find a teat and nurse!!! :hair: I did milk mama out some and drenched her (about 60cc) about 6 tonight. Just came in from trying again....nope. She still hasnt found where supper is! She is active, bright and tail wagging. Going back out in a little and try again. :roll:

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    lol, silly little thing!
    just keep at her I guess!

3. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Yeah, doelings don't seem to catch on to the nursing thing to fast. I had doelings that wouldn't nurse right away even when I tried to help, but as soon as I left them alone they started nursing. Bucklings on the other hand seem to be born nursing:)

4. Dodge 'Em

Dodge 'Em New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Cedar Hill,TN
    LOL my husband said its a man thing. :laugh: I wont go into details.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    When you syringe feed her.... slowly feed to the kid....at the back corner of her mouth....put your index finger... in her mouth like a teat...straight on.....and move it in and out..... as you slowly ....with breaks in between ..when you syringe the milk... and get her to get the suck reflux going.... it is good to have someone tickle her tail head area... at the same time....
    You can repeat.....hopefully the suck reflex is there.. that does help some...

Do as you did...
    ...put her mouth around the teat...and squirt some milk in her mouth... then let her go....tickle her on the tailhead along the back...... and...gently coax her to the teat...but not hold her..some fight with all their might if you do....like she is doing to you.....just a gentle push... in the right direction...
    Scream or not ...squirt some in her mouth...then.... don't shove ...gently push very very lightly....to the direction of the teat.....if she doesn't get it ...repeat squirt the milk in her mouth...screams and all.... release.... then tickle her tailhead... repeat....

Have you felt the tummy...make absolutely sure..... the kid isn't already feeding when you aren't looking....sometimes... they do that and by the time you come out to assist again...the kid is to full to eat.....so they will fight you....in every way... good luck.. :hug:

6. Dodge 'Em

Dodge 'Em New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Cedar Hill,TN
    Up before 5 to see if doeling will nurse.....nope. Still trying to nurse on mama's neck. Gave her more "store colostrum" and some First Arrival. Try again after I get home form work.

7. jodief100

jodief100 New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    I find trying to force them to nurse often makes it worse. They are too busy stuggling and fighting me to concentrate on nursing. I usually let them be unless I absolutly have to intervene.

8. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I had that same problem with my little girl this year. I just kept feeding her with the syringe to make sure she got food but always kept encouraging her to suckle the teat by putting her up to it every chance I got. Eventually she fiqured it out.

9. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm so sorry she is being a stubborn butt! Our doeling who was born last month had issues nursing too, it was more of a staying latched on and getting the good stuff out! For the first 24 hours I remember going out every couple of hours to help get her latched on and nursing without being sooooo impatient - none of the 2 doelings we've had born here were very patient eaters LOL
    Now I agree about boys...we've had 3 of them so far since last summer and they were DETERMINED...!

10. Dodge 'Em

Dodge 'Em New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Cedar Hill,TN
    Well, when I got home this afernoon, she still hasnt found "the faucets". She is still going around mama's head and neck, and when I put her up to the udder, she turns around and goes right back to mama's chest. I finally milked out some and put it in a bottle, which she guzzled down. Put her down, she ran to mama and stuck her head under her neck. I have never had this problem, but it seems I learn more each day with goats! I hope she realizes SOON that the good stuff is UNDER mama's belly, not on the sides or under her ear or neck. I dont want a bottle baby!!! But she is starting to stand all hunched up....usually not a good sign, in my experience.

11. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    hold the bottle next to mama's teat while she drinks it. Get her used to receiving milk from the right end of the goat. Eventually she will look for the bottle there and get the teat.

12. Dodge 'Em

Dodge 'Em New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Cedar Hill,TN
    Whew! We are FINALLY making some progress! At 5 this morning, I got her to drink from a bottle again (leftover mom milk from yesterday). She was still hungry, so I pushed a teat in her mouth....AND SHE NURSED!!! Ok, I still have to push her head under and put the teat in her mouth.....BUT SHE FINALLY NURSED! Baby steps, but I will take them!

13. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Whoooo ray.... yep, sometimes it takes baby steps but it sounds like she is on her way.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :leap: congrats....

15. Dodge 'Em

Dodge 'Em New Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Cedar Hill,TN
    WHOO HOO!!!!! Wrong Way Sally has finally gotten the idea!! :stars:

When I got home from work, she was hollering and following mama. I shoved her under and put the teat in her mouth, she protested a minute and them went to town. Did that 3 times. Went to check on other expecting does, came back and TA DAAAAA!!!! She had found it HERSELF!!! :leap: :clap: :leap: :wahoo: I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders!

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    congrats...great job... :leap:

Wrong way Sally......I love that name......... :hi5:

17. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Hooray!!! :laugh: Love the name!