Portable Electric fence!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Okey dokey! I want to start putting up a portable electric fence in the pasture for the goats! If yall watch Blue Cactus Dairy goats on YT, then I want to do something very similar to that.

My problem is that the cows are in the pasture (8 cows). My plan was to fence off about 1/4 acre of grass for the goats (6 ATM) at a time in the front pasture (5 acres), but the cows still get to graze like normal. I am worried the cows will knock the electric fence down and the goats will get out and get on the road or something. Our pastures are fenced with barbed wire. I'm not worried that the cows will hurt the goats, because I know they won't, but if they knock the fence down, that would be very bad! Every night I will bring them back to their pen when I feed, so I don't have to worry about predators or anything. Their pen is very close to the front pasture gate, so it *shouldn't be too hard lol!

The reason i want to do this is that the 8 cows aren't keeping up with the 20 acres of grass, and it is up to my knees (I'm 5'1 or 5'2) I don't want to overgraze of course, but all the good coastal grass is dying because the weeds are taking the sunlight. The goats LOVE the weeds in the pasture!

I sold 5 goats and have ALOT of money from them, so that is what i will be using to pay for all of this.

I am going to need a form of shade, and i was thinking something like this, because its portable.
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ac...-Camping||71700000050238199|58700004916746680

If it is confusing to yall, i can draw it out real quick! But any advice is appreciated!!

2. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    DB1FB24C-F657-447D-958E-06DBA6195972.jpeg

Those 3 squares are gonna be the three main spots so they are close to the gate. As you can see the cattle will still have access to the front pasture, but really only in there in the evening to get water.
    Good plan it not?

3. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    If you get a charger rated for cattle then I’d expect the cows to respect the fence. We use the portable electric mesh when we’re cross fencing and it works really well. Just make sure it is always energized, otherwise the goats will challenge it and get tangled, especially goat kids. Premier 1 makes a double spike mesh fence that we’re going to go with next time we buy fence. It’s so much more stable than the single spike. Wish we’d known about it before buying all of ours.

4. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    could you give me a link of the double spike? and a good solar charger? Thank you!

5. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    https://www.premier1supplies.com/c/fencing/

They have a ton of different options. For a solar charger, we just use the Zareba from TSC but I’m sure Premier 1 has a better one. They’ve got great customer service so I’m sure they’d help you pick out the best options for your set up.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California