The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I currently have permament fence and am looking at getting mesh portable electric fence to move them around in our wooded area to clean that up. Looks like starter kits are kind of pricey at around $450 for mesh with solar charger. Any other options out there. Just need 100 ft long as will do 25 ft sq at a time and then move.
Advise on training them with the electric as they have never seen it.
Thanks

·
8,168 Posts
When they go out for the first time, use a few people. One to turn power off, the others to help if they run into or try and go through the fence. One shock and most learn, but, watch if you have kids. They are more challenging.

Once they learn that the fence bites, they will be a little difficult to convince it's ok to come out of the "gate" area when you want to relocate them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purcashed my fencing and solar charger separately at my local feed store and save quite a bit of money. $150 for the fencing and $80 for the charger. I use Patriot brand solar chargers for the goats, sheep, Alpacas, and horses and they work well!

·
Registered
842 Posts
It is easy to move, just make sure you fold it up properly to make it easy on yourself. We use it for pasture rotation and dividing areas. Make sure it is always hot. If not, they’ll lose respect for it and can get tangled. I don’t like using it with goat kids. We got ours from Premier 1, they’ve got a lot of selection and good prices.

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
I have 2 premier 1 fences I bought on amazon and I have both AC and D.C. Fencers. Truthfully the AC fencer has more bite so I train my goats to stay in with the AC but when I move it around I use the D.C. With a solar panel but they're already trained to the fence so I don't have issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts