Possible bloat... help with question...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cinder, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Because of the wonderful rain we've been getting we have very lush green grass growing everywhere. Since my goats are in a penned area with only limited grass (which they've kept 'mowed' down) I have been concerned about letting them out to free range in case they would over eat. Thus, I've been letting them out for extended periods of time over the last couple of weeks. They are up to about 1 1/2 hours at a time (once a day) now. Today, when I went out to bring them back into their pen my 6 yr. old Nubian doe had a much larger belly than normal. I'm concerned about her bloating... she is acting ok/normal right now but her tummy isn't getting smaller. She has free choice baking soda available. I've heard that Milk of Magnesia can help but I don't have any. Can I use some Gas X? Or tums?

Anything else I can do for her? I'm going to go out and walk her some more, I just wanted to get this question out there.

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    You can give Tums or make a drench out of the baking soda and squirt a bit down her throat, is she behaving wierd? Has she pooed since you noticed this?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Jason..... and by morning her gut ....should be back to normal....... :wink: :greengrin:

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    As you're walking her be sure to massage her left side vigorously. More baking soda tums or mom will help too.
    Just be sure she gets plenty of hay before being turned out again,Im sure you know that.
    Hope to hear about her progress!

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Cinder, you are doing good with limiting their browse time.....3 weeks ago I opened up the girls pasture and well, needless to say I had some very round goats, especially noticeable on Binky. I kept a pan of Baking Soda out for them and made sure I had a couple flakes of hay in the racks early in the morning....I know they ate that first because it was before daylight, and they won't leave their yard in the dark. All I did was rubbed bellies often and did have to give a few doses of pepto because of the cow pies after a few days. All is good now, their systems adjusted well and my girls are happy.

Your goats will adjust soon, just watch for "dopey" looking goats, that is a sign of bloat.