Possible bloat or something else

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by mamski, Jan 25, 2021.

1. mamski

mamski Goofy Dairy Goats

Oct 16, 2014
    Iowa Tristates area
    My goat has not laid down since early Sat.night, except for a few minutes I noticed a little bit ago. She tried to lay down earlier tonight and just got back up without going down all the way. She stood in the same spot, same position, all night long and goes back there today when she goes into the shed. Otherwise, she's acting fairly normal. I did notice her curl her lips at one point, but it's too soon for her to be in heat. She ate a little hay, gobbled her feed tonight. Last night she ate 1/2 banana and some orange slices. She usually turns her nose up at these, and I'm wondering if that's whats causing the problem, like bloat or something. Temp is 102. She shares a shed with one other goat. Not bred, not gritting her teeth, about 4-5 years old. She pooped pellets after I took her temp, don't know about peeing, I'll have to check the cameras again, but I didn't notice her do that. She ate some hay today. Not sure about drinking. She seems normal otherwise, walking around, but seems uncomfortable. I'll try to attach some pics I took. Can't seem to attach the video of her trying to lay or humping her back and lifting her tail. 20210124_181818.jpeg 20210124_182757.jpeg

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Recheck the rectal temperature, this may be a sign of pneumonia because they can't breath comfortably laying down. Is she vaccinated for pneumonia?

3. mamski

mamski Goofy Dairy Goats

Oct 16, 2014
    Iowa Tristates area
    I wasn't aware of that regarding pneumonia. She is not vaccinated for it. Can I purchase online or do I have to get from a vet? The good news, she was laying down this morning when I came in. And I think she looks a little thinner, going to compare to last night's pictures. Also I think she's coming into heat. She's chasing her shedmate around pestering her and tail flagging.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  4. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Pneumonia vaccines can be purchased without a veterinarian but don't give it to her while she's acting off.

5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    When we don't know what's up - 3 cloves raw garlic, 1000mg oral vitamin c, injectable fortified b complex injection, and a drench of 6oz room temp dark beer.

mamski and MadHouse like this.
  6. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Are any of you all a fan of the nasal vaccines for pneumonia prevention? I used enforce 3 this last time around. Year before that I used Just Once PM nasal vaccines. 1 ml in each nostril or 2 ml in one nostril. So far so good.

Moers kiko boars, mamski and MadHouse like this.
  7. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

I use the once PM. I prefer it to the injection that can lame them. It's had good response from many big herds for quite awhile.

8. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I've been using the intranasal Once PMH IN for several years now. One year, for cost, I chose a common injectable instead. My herd had a few members really mopey for two days when using the injectable. obviously the IN being one dose is also a great benefit.

9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I think if you have had pneumonia issues it’s a good idea. But I won’t introduce something to a herd via vaccine unless I’ve seen a reason for it.

I’ve seen a lot of completely healthy herds start getting little mild bouts of pneumonia, or just a fever for a couple days, after the vaccine.

MadHouse likes this.
  10. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Necause their bodies are busy making antibodies that keep them from getting true pneumonia. Same thing as a flu shot....

11. mamski

mamski Goofy Dairy Goats

Oct 16, 2014
    Iowa Tristates area
    Have had no pneumonia issues. I only have 4 goats separated by pairs into two different pens/sheds because the moment only likes one of her three girls. My Princess is laying down, but still seems uncomfortable. She looks a little thinner than that first day, so I think a little bloat. But she's still quite testy with her sister, doesn't want to let her in the shed and it'll be negative temps tonight. She stands a lot with her head down, like in the picture I attached. She lets me pet her like usual though. I'll check her and get a temp after work tonight.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  12. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Just because you have not had pneumonia problems before does not mean that you do not have one now though.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. mamski

mamski Goofy Dairy Goats

Oct 16, 2014
    Iowa Tristates area
    True, but I was responding to the person who said I should not vaccinate against pneumonia if I haven't had issues with it. I haven't had any, so won't be vaccinating. I will continue to monitor, but she seems to be doing better. Thanks to everyone for your advice and concern. I'll update this if things change at all.

15. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I hope your goat is well now!

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  17. mamski

mamski Goofy Dairy Goats

Oct 16, 2014
    Iowa Tristates area
    She is doing much better. I stopped giving her feed for a few nights,then gave her a little and it seemed to cause her discomfort again, so I'm trying to eliminate it, but tough with her sister in the same shed. Her sister doesn't understand and isn't happy!

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Allow her to have hay.

NigerianNewbie and JML Farms like this.
  19. mamski

mamski Goofy Dairy Goats

Oct 16, 2014
    Iowa Tristates area
    Yup, doing that. I think the oranges really threw her off, so no more citrus treats for her. Reintroducing feed slowly with our subzero temps.

toth boer goats likes this.