The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 12 week old Nigerian dwarf doeling a few weeks ago and have treated her for everything, as the previous owners did not. Yesterday I noticed that she looked like she swallowed a watermelon. Her tummy was way out on both sides and she felt semi-firm. I keep baking soda out free choice, but I drenched her with 1tbsp baking soda and 30cc warm water. By the afternoon, she still looked the same. Still drinking water, munching hay and happy for grain. The caretaker mentioned that she had been sneaking into the horses stall and eating his horse grain....since she got here :veryangry: Pretty mad that she hadn't told me sooner. Today, doeling is still bloated, but has a squishy feeling, not hard at all. I had wormed with safeguard and ivomec, but thought possibly worms, so I gave her valbazen this morning. Still no change. Tonight I gave her probios and injected B complex, in case her rumen is off from the horse grain. Oh, and I gave her Baycox about a week ago. I am not in the barn all day, so I can't really say if she is pooping ok or not. She is acting totally fine.

Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
first off horse grain isnt all that bad - Ive actually fed it as their grain ration. So that wouldnt cause the bloat

she needs more then 1tsp of baking soda for bloat. You can also give her some mineral oil to help pass any gas along

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We feed Poulin endurance to the horses and Poulin sweet goat to the goats. I just thought maybe she was getting too much if it. She only gets 1/2 cup of goat feed, whereas the horse gets a coffee can. I was told that the horse moves aside and let's her eat it (pushover gelding. Lol)

I gave her a tablespoon of baking soda. I'll try the mineral oil tomorrow. About how much oil should I give? She weighs about 25 lbs

·
Registered
31,048 Posts
Too much grain would more than likely present the runs before causing bloat..fresh green graze can cause bloat...I have a couple of Lamancha kids who always look like they swollowed a watermelon..they graze all day long...but the left side is not any harder than the right side and they are not acting uncomfortable.....as long as they are eating , pooping, peeing,playful and chewing a cud I wouldnt worry too much..some times they just have a large rumen...which is good :p

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I agree with happybleats. If she isn't in pain then it's likely not bloat.

The mineral oil will give her the runs FYI.

Still not enough baking soda was given to make a difference. You have I also give it multiple times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts