Possible buck for the herd

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by CrossCreekTX, Jul 28, 2010.

1. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    http://austin.craigslist.org/grd/1865569221.html

I'm thinking about getting this buckling IF the breeder does her paperwork and if he is not too closely related to my girls. His sire still needs to be registered. Pix at 4 months and he is 6 months now. I haven't been down there, it is a long trip and I want to know paperwork will be handed to me before I leave.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    all her goats look very downhill -- I would be concerned about purchasing any of them. I would like to see better pictures

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    :shocked: Never seen a goat look so downhill....

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I personally would keep looking. ;)

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    folks... a lot of the reason for those goats looking so downhill is the way they are standing. When a goats rear legs are placed directly under their hip bones they will look downhill.... it doesn't help that they are also fighting the pictures and splaying their front legs. LOL I would ask for new, updated pictures and ask her to take natural photos (maybe at a raised hay feeder so their heads will be up) if they still won't cooperate with being stacked. :) From those pics I would pass on the girls but.... it really could just be bad pictures.

6. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    That's what I was thinking. That it could be the pix. I'd really have to see them close up, but waiting to see if she gets the paperwork done first. I also want to see the sire of the two kids.

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    A goat should never be that down hill when it is just standing with the legs directly under the hip bone. But I do agree it could definately just be bad pics of them. It almost looks like in a couple of those photos the goats were actually on a down hill area, but I can't tell for sure. I would definately ask for more photos and if you can go see them in person. Just by the photos though I would pass. But good luck with whatever you decide!! :thumb:

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    IMO i'd pass on them unless she's got the records for health and breeding in order, and to me that doe had a rather short lactation, 5 months?? makes me wonder if she has a good normal amount of milk through her whole lactation (or what it should be) instead of the short 5 months ( which by guessing from the way those kids look displeased about being held, i'm going to assume they were dam raised, meaning they nursed for at least 2 months) so the short lactation time for me is a big red flag, especially if you're in it for the milk

9. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    A lot of people around here dry off their does in the heat because the person can't deal with milking in 100* plus temps and 90+ humidity.

Found out they are Fairwoods lines. I'll go see them soon as I can arrange somebody to drive me. Breeder is getting paperwork done before I go.