Possible Coccidia?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Kass, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Ok. So background story. Im a new goat owner. I got my first 2 goats mid-April. 2 Does. 1 Nigerian dwarf and 1 Nigerian-Saanen. The Nigerian-Sannen, Willow, ( then 6 weeks old) got sick and had a weird back-and-forth of Scours and chunky stools for a couple weeks before we took her to the vet. (I did have her on Pro-bios during the wait). We took her to the vet and got a coccidia dewormer. It cleared up within 2 days and we haven't had any problems with her since. On June 7th I got a 3rd goat, a Nubian, 10 weeks old, named Stella. She had been doing great, with no runny stool or problems (she did lose her voice from screaming, but its back now :) Until yesterday. I went out to feed in the morning and saw poo on her legs, so I checked the goat house and sure enough, a cow-patty stool. Come on! But I haven't seen anymore irregular poops, so...
    So I guess what I want to say that I plan to deworm her with Corid, since I'm assuming its Coccidia. The Vet is half an hour away and my parents both work. So does anyone object to me worming without a fecal? If I use Corrid and she doesn't have coccidia, will it harm her? Im fairly certain thats what it is. She gets about an hour of forage a day, so no change there. She is on about a cup of grain a day, which I pulled her off of last night because I read that grain is not good for scouring goats. She is not on minerals, but I plan on buying some tonight.
    I hope I get some good replies! Stay safe everyone!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I would think that would be fine. I actually start mine on cocci prevention at 3-4 weeks and continue treatment every 3 weeks until they are approximately 5 months old.

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Ok . Thanks!
    The other two that are in with the one suspected of coccidia got dewormed for coccidia last month. Will they get it again? Do I need to take any precautionary measures to keep them from getting it again?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :nod::up:

Can do the prevention longer, if cocci is a big threat.