Possible Dislocated Shoulder in Month Old Kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Caileigh Jane Smith, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Glad he's doing better!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    So, I had to go in to work and wasn't here when the vet actually arrived. But I left a note explaining what had happened and what I'd been doing to treat it, and my sister and mom were both around to talk to the vet. Anyway, vet at first thought he had severe nerve damage. I guess he was poking around on his foot and not getting any response. But then, when he saw him actually walking around, he decided maybe it wasn't so severe. He also said to watch for gangrene, since we don't know how badly or for how long his circulation was restricted while he was stuck. There is a scuffed up place on his leg, where he was stuck. It's not severe at all...only the first layer or two of skin was scraped up...but he said to watch that and see how it heals. So basically, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and keep a close eye on progress. At this point, I'm not terribly concerned about nerve damage, so long as it doesn't have repercussions beyond mobility, as he can use his leg and was actually bouncing around like his old self last night. He does limp, but even if he never gets completely 'normal', I feel he could live a very happy life with the amount of mobility he has right now. Anyone have suggestions for things I could do to help his nerves repair? I am thinking at this point to let him do whatever he feels like doing, not restrict his movement unless his leg starts swelling/looking painful again, as vet did not seem to think that a broken bone or dislocated shoulder - my original concerns - are a problem. He is actually getting really smart about using his injured leg, almost testing it out, sometimes, seeing what he can and can't do. He tore past me last night, running on 3 legs. The injured one never even touched the ground. But when he's standing or walking normally, he uses the injured leg and puts weight on it.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Time and him working the leg is all you can do.

4. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    @toth boer goats thanks! I'm feeling hopeful for his outcome...time will tell, I guess.

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    I realized I never posted an update about my little guy. He has made a complete recovery. That skin on the scuffed up place on his leg, where the vet was concerned about gangrene, eventually dried up and fell off, but there was new, healthy skin underneath. It was the strangest looking thing. An almost perfectly rectangular piece of skin, I think several layers, died, dried up, and slowly began curling away from the new skin growing underneath. When it came off entirely, it looked exactly like a piece of hard leather...which I guess it was. There was never any oozing, bad smell, nor any heat after that initial heat and swelling went out of his leg. I think there was more extensive circulation damage there than was initially evident, but it did heal in time. He has a scar there, but is completely sound.
    I decided not to sell him until I knew he was back to normal, and then I got to looking at him and realized he's actually a nice looking guy, with some qualities that I'd like to keep in my herd. So he'll be staying here for a while. Plus, I spent so much time with him that I got sort of attached.
    Here he is, munching leaves with his mom and his second mom. He is a bit spoiled. :) I'm letting him live in the doe pen, since his mom is bred, and I would have liked him to breed my other doe, but he wasn't quite tall enough to do the job. Next breeding season, though!
    20210112_163204-01.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Glad he recovered! I like reading posts like this, with a happy ending!

8. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Happy endings always give me hope, so I thought it would be nice to share. It's tempting to only post when things are going wrong.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    So good to hear.

He is looking good. :)

Caileigh Jane Smith likes this.