Possible Early Pregnancy!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatmama2, Dec 4, 2008.

1. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    A couple of weeks ago, our buckling Cohosh actually climbed through the feed hole of his fence and got into the stall with our doeling, Sage. She is barely even 7 months old but it's very likely he bred her, poor thing! I'm worried about how young she is. She's getting to be a good sized goatie, but she's so young and we really tried to keep him away from her. That little stinker has escaped several times before we finally figured out how he was doing it! Will she be okay at this age? She will be just under a year old if she delivers in April. Ugh! Please advise! Thanks, Brooke

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Calm down....what breed is she?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she will be fine. May take a little longer to get to full size but maybe not even that.

I have had a 7 month old get pregnant on accident and i just bred my 9 month old on purpose.

Take care of her like you would any pregnant doe and all will be fine

4. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    She'll probably be fine...but if you are really worried about her you can have the vet give her a shot that will abort the kids. Unfortunately I had a Nubian buck get out with some of my Boer show does...so I'm going to have to do that with a couple.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The reason I ask the breed is because the larger breeds can safely be bred at a young age...the mini's it's preferable to wait but accidents do happen, I had a 4 month old nigi/pygmy cross get bred, and delivered a healthy single doeling with no problem...as Stacey said, just care for her as you would any pregnant doe and she'll be fine....though it might be a good idea to have a vet on call if need be.

6. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Sage is a Nubian, purebred. So is Cohosh, although he is on the small side right now, since he's only about 9 months old himself! Thanks for all the reassurance. I'd rather not abort if the consensus is that she'll be okay!
    Sadly, our Lily - who tested positive for CAE - is going to have to be put down this weekend. :cry: She's at the point now where she can barely stand or get up, and we can't stand to see her suffer. We've tried everything we can think of. It's always something, isn't it? She's been a great old girl and we're so sad!

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh then she is a fine age to be bred as long as she is healthy which I am sure she is.

Sorry about your doe, :hug:

8. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Sounds like she'll be fine to me. Sorry about your other doe. :grouphug:

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am sorry about your older doe - :hug: But be assured she will no longer be in pain.

As for the younger one - you are going to be a goat mamma! Congrats. She should be just fine!!!

10. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Thanks all...today is the day, I think...sniff...she'll be frolicking in goat heaven with all those we've lost over the years...Brooke

11. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    a friend of mine just had a doe deliver twin doelings and momma is only 9months old
    it's one of those oops breedings
    momma and daughters are doing fine and they are mini nubians
    so if your standard nubian is 7 months she will freshen at 12 months and will be absolutely fine and dandy

12. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Thanks so much! I feel sooooo much better...

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm sorry about your old girl, rest assured you are making the right decision for her :hug: And your "baby' will be just fine! It won't take away from the stress you'll feel before she delivers, but at least she's a "big" baby...my "baby" was just 9 months when she became a mom!