The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with the owner of the goat I have been interested in. I asked about testing for CAE and CL and he said he doesn't want to spend that much time and effort on doing that when he could just send her to slaughter for the same amount of money I am paying for her. I have no other goats at home...should I just buy her ($200) and test her once she is here? He says he has had a healthy herd and the vet comes out twice a year. He said they dont bring outside goats in but they did show. His daughter is going to college and that is why he is selling some of them. Should I continue with this sale?

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
I would pass. If he is unwilling to allow a simple test then I would wonder why. If he rather sel her off for meat then her going to a wonderful home, it would give me pause..I used to not test for CAE, no reason for not doing it..just never did..I had a healthy herd..when I finally started tested I had four does positive..!!! These girls did not look ill, they were helahy, shiny coats..well condititon..HUGE milkers...No sign at all..You can not go by how the herd looks...it is devistating and heart breaking to get that positive result!! Start off with CAE negative girls will save you the heart ache of testing her later and her being positive and you having to decide what to do with her..best wishes!!

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
It sounds like a guy who just wants to get things sold. I would probably pass and keep looking. I would find a farm that you can have a mentor as well as buying goats. You want to be able to go back to them for breeding and call them when you have a problem.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I would run, fast and faraway from that person. CAE testing is NOT expensive, it costs $4 per goat through BioTracking, plus shipping which right now with an ice pack to keep the blood cool is only about $10. If they got rude with you after, they probably know something about the goat and were mad because you don't want to just take their word for it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone! Well I guess now I am back in the market! Anybody have a doe close to Indiana for around $200 or $250?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts