Possible Hypothetical Newbie Question....

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by shayblur, Apr 9, 2010.

1. shayblur

shayblur New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Okay, so I was wondering- I know that you can milk a Boer (I've done it, so I know), and I know that most people who milk, milk dairy goats. So, how would the milk production compare? I read somewhere that Boers only lactate for 2 months, but dairy breeds will lactate for 10 months. Is that true? :whatgoat:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes boer goats tend to have shorter lactations then a dairy goat. Some will milk longer then 2 months but the yield will be greatly reduced and almost minimal

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Because Boers are bred for their meat quality and not their udder/dairy qualities, they do tend to make just enough milk to sustain their kids and the length of their lactation is shorter due to that fact, they feed their kids til weaned and start the process all over again, Dairy breeds are "made" for milk production so they are bred for quantity of milk and for a longer lactation.

4. shayblur

shayblur New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Thank you for the answers! That question has been bothering me for a while now. I guess it's kind of silly, but I was actually wondering what would prevent someone from just using a meat breed for milk production or vice versa. I understand a bit better now. :)

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    IMO, Any goat can be eaten or milked...just depends on which is more important to the person....steaks or ice cream.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have to agree with the others.... :wink:

But...I do have to say... I use to have a Fullblood boer doe.... that took 4 to 5 months after weaning her babies... to dry up...she was a milk house(huge) .... and I believe... she could of went quite a long time... if I was to milk her every day for consumption..... There are a "few".... that are good milkers....the doe I had ...had both qualities... and getting another doe ...with that capacity... is quite minimal....... I sold her as I didn't drink the milk and was tired of drying her up ...because it was a nightmare.... If you wanted to go with meat goats and use them for milking... I suggest ...spreading out your breeding/kidding times ..and it will get you farther... in getting milk for a longer period of time... and that way... you will have a meat option... if you decide to do so...the best of both worlds... :wink: Good luck in your decisions..... :wink: :greengrin:

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I've done both, and I guess the differences are simple.

My boer does I was milking, yielded 1 - 2 L per day, for 4 mths.

My dairy does I was milking, yielded 3 - 7L per day, for 12 mths.

The slaughter kids from the Boer does give a 14 - 16kg carcase at 4 - 6 mths old.

The slaughter kids from the dairy does give a 12kg carcase at 12 - 14 mths old.

So, there's nothing stopping you from using a meat doe for milk, or vice versa a milk doe for meat, but its just that they are experts at doing one thing and they wont perform as well at the other.

8. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    It is not an advantage in a meat goat to have a long lactation. I expect that, over time, the meat breeds that had a long lactation gene died of mastitis or were unable to nurse their kids next lactation because mastitis damaged the udders. These goats didn't have somebody checking udders and administering antibiotics. They were always put out to pasture and kids were sent to market at a certain point without someone going thru the herds to make sure the moms were dry.

OTOH, dairy goats have been milked and cared for over many centuries to improve lactation for human use of the milk.

9. DRJ Ranch

DRJ Ranch New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Anderson, California
    If your intrested in milking and meat what you might look for is cross breed. A good boer crossed with a good milker might give you the happy medium your looking for.

I want to experment in crossing a boer with a milker to get a longer taller body with some good meat on it for county fairs so I have been thinking 66% boer and 33% milker like a saanen.

10. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    That is pretty much what i am planning on doing, not for fair just for feeding the family. I talked to the lady I bought my goats from, she has full dairy, full meat and mixes. I explained what i want and what I am trying to accomplish, which is basically what she aims for as well.

I ended up with two Boer/Oberhasli crosses and one Boer/Alpine cross.

But i am a year or so away from knowing for sure how well it works.