The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my doe is due today and her breathing has been weird since last night as though she is in labor like short grunts and she’s been laying down a lot but is still interested in food and gets up when I come into the pen.. this will be my first time experiencing a doe kid so I don’t really know what is normal

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Hello and welcome!

If you post in this thread two more times then you will be able to upload some photos to share with us. Maybe you could take one of her back end to see what her udder and vulva look like?

Now how was she bred (live coverage, short exposure to buck? Lived with the buck for several weeks? Artificial insemination? I just want to know how sure we are about due date.

It's not uncommon for heavily pregnant does to grunt while laying down as the kids are really taking up a lot of room. It's great she is still eating well. You're sure she didn't have any period where she was pushing and contracting really hard? Maybe laying on her side with back legs rigid? And have you seen any discharge?

·
Registered
275 Posts
My does are due in two days, they lay around and grunt all day.
Watch her and make sure she continues to eat well, is drinking and getting up to move around. If you are concerned you can check her ketones.
I keep my feed and water on opposite sides of the barn, and both are outside, it encourages them to get up and move around and get some exercise.

Do you know her exact due date or just a date range?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Hi, my doe is due today and her breathing has been weird since last night as though she is in labor like short grunts and she's been laying down a lot but is still interested in food and gets up when I come into the pen.. this will be my first time experiencing a doe kid so I don't really know what is normal
Get on you tube and watch blue cactus dairy goats. Crystal has a dozen or so Kidding videos so you can see some labors and deliverys. It's very helpful if you've never witnessed a live Kidding.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello and welcome!

If you post in this thread two more times then you will be able to upload some photos to share with us. Maybe you could take one of her back end to see what her udder and vulva look like?

Now how was she bred (live coverage, short exposure to buck? Lived with the buck for several weeks? Artificial insemination? I just want to know how sure we are about due date.

It's not uncommon for heavily pregnant does to grunt while laying down as the kids are really taking up a lot of room. It's great she is still eating well. You're sure she didn't have any period where she was pushing and contracting really hard? Maybe laying on her side with back legs rigid? And have you seen any discharge?
She was with a buck for about a month, I was told she was bred the 13th of August. I have not seen any pushing, or discharge

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My does are due in two days, they lay around and grunt all day.
Watch her and make sure she continues to eat well, is drinking and getting up to move around. If you are concerned you can check her ketones.
I keep my feed and water on opposite sides of the barn, and both are outside, it encourages them to get up and move around and get some exercise.

Do you know her exact due date or just a date range?
Okay, yeah she is pretty active....she has triplets in her and I was told that she was bred the 13th of August

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Will this be HER first kidding? If your sure she had triplets in there I would think she's just getting close to kidding. Do you know how to check her ligaments?

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
If she lived with the buck for a month, then you have a range, not a due date. Just because they saw a breeding happen on the 13th, doesn't mean it took on that day.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Now that you have posted a few times you should be able to post pictures or maybe you need 5 posts but you're almost there. a picture always helps :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IMG_9085.jpg
IMG_9087.jpg

Finally!! Two Doelings born about 12:30 one was breach but they are healthy. Sad though she was carrying triplets yet the third must have been absorbed I had to reach inside to feel for the other one but I'd didn't feel anything, she passed her placenta and is relaxed. I'm happy about the two healthy ones I do have.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Did you have her ultrasounded to know she had triplets? How far into gestation was she if you did.

babies look great, nice and big and bright eyed

1 - 17 of 17 Posts