The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I have a 2nd freshener who always gets a little thickening and lumpy during her heat. Her milk production drops a considerable amount during heat. She just finished a heat and one side of her udder is still thick and her milk has serum in it. There are no clots, blood or smelly discharge, just a milk-like substance with more clear fluid separated from the normal milk. Her udder is smooth and not irregular, there are no red spots or temperature differences. Her appetite is good but she doesn't want me to milk that one side. She lives with 2 other does and a wether that has scurs and he sometimes butts the girls and bruises them. Her body temperature is normal. I am thinking that our wether hit her on the udder but see no bruising now. I have never had a case of mastitis in any of my does. Am reading about alternative treatments and have the California Mastitis test on the way. Am planning to strip her and massage with camomile peppermint oil at each milking. Not going to treat with any antibiotics till I know for sure it is mastitis. Any other advice, comments, personal experience? I appreciate the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.