The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my long search for a really good Nigerian doe, I am torn between 3.

1st is a yearling FF. She Linear Appraised at 81 and will be exposed to a '85' buck.

2nd is an 8 month old. Her ancestors have higher appraisals, she will also be exposed to the same buck.

3rd is a 4 month old that has Castle Rock Lines.

All are priced within $50 of each other. I like that the 1st doe has already kidded before and I LOVE her udder. FF does scare me a little. I'm very indecisive, but can you tell I like black and white goats??

Attachments

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i'd pick #2! her rump looks steep but i think ii f you pudh down that loin you'd br surprised how nice she is. besides she ia show stopper in the markings department.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
(Speaking as a newbie trying to learn about NDs): I'd actually go for No. 1 (I would not refuse any of them, let's be clear! :) ) She has shorter, dwarfier legs, and I like that you can see how her udder developed. No. 2 is more leggy and less dwarfy, proportionately speaking--not as typical of the breed as I understand it, but surely an excellent goat. Yes, she has a pretty coat, too. I'm at a loss for judging kids, so won't speak to No. 3.

·
Super Moderator
58,875 Posts
I like goat #1 better. The flash of #2 tends to throw you off because she is more attractive to look at. But they are all very nice and would be great additions.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree Goat in Himmel, 1 looks more refined and dairy like, and as I said before, I can obviously see her udder, and First Fresheners scare me...

Think I'll make a call to the farm that owns the first doe...

·
375 Posts
I like the 1st and 3rd ones best. I love #1's bloodlines and since she has already freshened you know what to expect with her udder. A FF score of 81 is not bad at all, some does take a few years to really blossom. #3 is very nice too, I love her length of body and levelness. She has a ton of dairy character as well!

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I like the dairy look to #2... I am one who prefers a ND to have length of leg to go with the dairy build. I can do without her flashy pattern though... I do love black goats, not so big on flashy splashes of white though.
#1 is a very nice girl, but though she is a FF, her rear udder height needs to be better as her teats point forward instead of down, you may be lucky with her future freshenings and not have it get any worse but I would be sure to breed her with a buck who's lines are strong and proven with udder height and teat position.
Kids are always a gamble when purchasing, you just don't know how they will mature. Seeing kids from the same parents with previous breedings can help give an idea of how the kid will turn out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts