Possible "oops"

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Jun 10, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ok well, I opened the gate yesterday to let the girls browse and well, I didn't realize that Hank was out until I saw him on Tilly...I didn't want her bred at all after the vaginal prolapse ....now this girl ALWAYS lets me know when she is in heat because she is very LOUD!! She was quiet yesterday and still stood but as I grabbed Hank he was done but she didn't do the usual "doe hunch up", so I am hoping he missed the mark....My hubby knows how it hurt when Dolly passed away and told me if she is preggy he'd rather take her to the sale barn than to have to dig another hole. That made me feel worse and now I'm gonna be a royal mess for the next 19 days til she comes back in...and if she doesn't then what do I do?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh liz - I really hope that she is not for your sake!!

There is a link on my website to where 30 days after you can draw blood and send it in just in case to find out. Also, I know with dogs there is a medicine that you give them and it "goes away". Not sure if that happens in goats. Can you spay a goat?? I know I have done pigs and rabbits??? Hmmmmm......

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sure sounds like your hubby cares about you but just doesn't realize how his statement hurts more.

If you are worried about it then you can get the vet to Lutalyce her I think you have to do it before they are 2 weeks along. Might save you the worry

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The vet that stitched her when she prolapsed 3 weeks before she kidded did tell me that she should not be bred again ever, I did ask about spaying a goat and he had said that they have so much difficulty with the length of time they are under anesthesia that his office doesn't do it because of the mortality rate. I love all my girls....and of course my boys too but short of never letting her or my eldest doe out of the pen, the only way I can keep them barren is to sell my bucks...and I really am not wanting to do that either. I know theres medications as well as different herbs out there to bring a doe into heat...is there anything to keep them from going into heat? Like birth control?

As it is Hank won't be used again at all til I get another pygmy doe.....and I think that makes it worse trying to make sure he stays where he should. The younger boys will get their use this November, but Hank being bigger won't even let them near the fence when one of the girls is carrying on....I'd hate to think that Hank won't sire any more kids here but I have 2 of his daughters and will not in breed....any chance I would be able to neuter a 4 1/2 year old buck?

My hubby does mean well and just like most men, he doesn't realize how cold his words sounded to me....he hurt just as much as I did at that time so he does have a heart..it just didn't show much then.

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    The vet can sell you some lute -it's not expensive or hard to give. Then you can be sure.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well, I purchased the bottle of Lutelyse and dosed her with 1 1/2 cc as directed on Thursday when I got it though it was 17 days past the day of the "oops" I figured it was best to do it even though it was just a few days beyond the 2 weeks. She had no problem as I saw with it but yesterday around 3 I noticed she was standing all fluffed out with a "fat" face and I feared infection..I took her temp and it was normal t 103* she ate her handful of grain and proceeded to be normal but about 2 hours later she was at the bucks gate flagging and squatting and screaming her head off...so I figured that she was brought into heat thank goodness!! The dose was given at 4:30 Thursday afternoon and it does say that it would take up to 80 hours for standing heat...well mabe she wasn't settled at all and her heats are normally at 18-20 days so this just added extra to her "normalcy" there was no abnormal discharge so I am hoping I can assume she didn't settle?? So just for future reference to anyone who would have a "need" for the lute...I have a 5mL bottle and hope I won't have to use it again...at least with Tilly or Bootsie, but if I do I know it's handy, and it's good for the next 2 years!

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well that's a relief for you :hug:

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Absolutely!! Now I hope that she comes in heat again in another 18-21 days so I know for sure that this one wasn't a false heat...most of us stess when we WANT them preggy and wonder if they are....I'm :hair: :hair: trying to keep these 2 "barren"!!