The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday evening Mika didn't come running in with the rest of the herd when I went out to feed. I looked her over and didn't see anything obviously unusual, aside from general lethargy and not wanting to eat much. She had a few nibbles of grain and didn't want any more, so I left her in the goat yard with her kids and the others and headed to bed. The next morning (yesterday), I checked her out again in full daylight. Couldn't find anything weird, so I figured maybe she ate something funky or otherwise threw off her digestive system. Her mother used to go off her feed occasionally, and neither I nor the vet ever worked out exactly why, but some honey or molasses always fixed her right up. I made her take some beer and honey with a little peanut butter mixed in to thicken it, and I gave her some nice fresh leaves and salted carrots, and she ate a little of those, but not a lot.

Well, this morning she wasn't looking any better, so I pulled out the thermometer and checked her and she's hot. I should have checked her yesterday - I know. Because of her mother I was convinced it was just a digestive system thing, and I didn't look.

Please bear in mind that I'm in Texas, US, and it's been almost 100 degrees here the past couple of days, which I'm told can affect a goat's temperature. But the thermometer read her rectal temp at 107.

I did a mastitis test and she doesn't appear to have mastitis. So from what I've seen here on the forum, that suggests pneumonia. She does have a very slightly wet nose - I'm guessing that also suggests pneumonia.

So. I'm trying to decide what I need to do next. My penicillin expired and so did my B complex. I see that I can get LA 200 (and more B complex) at my local TSC, so that's one option. I could also take her to the vet in Alvarado that works with goats, and maybe get a prescription for something better.

I'm not super confident at giving shots, as I've only done it a few times, and far between... but I think I can handle it and I'm sure I'll get better with practice. I'm leaning towards going to TSC, mostly because the last time I took a sick goat to this vet for a diagnosis they just didn't really seem sure of what to do. They do seem (to me) quite confident and experienced with routine procedures like wethering and disbudding, but judging from my last experience there, they may not be super helpful in a diagnostic situation. Although even if they can't help me work out what's going on with her, with a fever like this they will almost certainly prescribe a good antibiotic, I would think.

What would you guys do? If I go with LA 200, do I need to separate Mika from her kids and throw away her milk, or how does that work? What size needle would you recommend?

Or would you go straight to the vet, even if the vet might not be terribly goat savvy?

Thanks in advance for any advice! You guys are the best.

P.S. I haven't found any other vets in this area that are willing to work on goats.
P.P.S. Her poop looks normal and I got her to drink some water with ACV this morning, so that's good I guess.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,805 Posts
If her fever is 107 in the morning she needs more than otc meds. She needs banamine for that fever. Pen g is better for respiratory as an otc but she most likely needs nuflor or draxxin possibly excede. You must get that fever down. Put her by a fan if you can. Cool compresses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
Draxxin is more expensive, I'd call the vet, see if they NEED to see her or if they'd be willing to give you the rx for banamine and draxxin (mine will)... draxin is one shot, then in 7 days another round... 107, she is running a temp...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She coughed a little when I was leading her, but she likes to pull on the collar and often makes herself cough by doing so, so unfortunately that doesn't really tell us anything. No wheezing, no coughing when I wasn't leading her. She's breathing a bit heavily but it's very hot outside, so that could just be from the heat.

@ksalvagno It looks like I can get Tylan 200 from TSC also. Would you suggest starting with that, or going straight to the vet?

@MellonFriend I don't have any banamine from disbudding - they didn't give me any to take home, just gave him some at the clinic. I'll try some VetRX in the nose - how should I make her take garlic if she doesn't want to eat it herself? Crush it up and drench, or what? That's a new one for me. The vitamin C too?

And this is something I don't quite understand yet. How do you decide when a fever is doing more harm than good? I saw that aspirin (among other things, I'm sure) can bring a fever down, but if she's fighting an infection do I want to lower her fever? Isn't the fever there to kill the infection? Not arguing, I just like to understand things. I know fever can cause problems, but how do you decide when the temperature itself needs intervention?

I will ask the vet if they can prescribe anything without a visit, but I'm doubtful, as I don't think they've seen Mika before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, and please advise as to whether I need to remove her from her kids. I don't want to cause her undue stress by separating them, but if they will get meds they shouldn't have via her milk, I don't want that either...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
Oh, and please advise as to whether I need to remove her from her kids. I don't want to cause her undue stress by separating them, but if they will get meds they shouldn't have via her milk, I don't want that either...
I'm not positive, how old are the kids? I agree more stress might not be good for her.
 

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Joined
·
4,640 Posts
how should I make her take garlic if she doesn't want to eat it herself? Crush it up and drench, or what? That's a new one for me. The vitamin C too?
You can blend it in a blender and drench it. As many cloves as you think seems reasonable. I wouldn't exceed eight though. I have vitamin C powder like you can get for humans, but you could also crush up tablets. You can mix that with some water and drench it to her. Not sure the dosage, but I found in the TGS medicine cabinet that it can be given at a rate of 500mg 2x a day for udder congestion, so that's probably a safe level.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,805 Posts
Oh, and please advise as to whether I need to remove her from her kids. I don't want to cause her undue stress by separating them, but if they will get meds they shouldn't have via her milk, I don't want that either...

How old are the kids? Ask the vet for a bottle of banamine not just a few doses..... it is not an expensive med and good to have on hand when needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got it! I'll start with garlic and vitamin C in the blender and I'm gonna go take her some more water and check her temp again. And I'll give her that VetRX. Still trying to decide between the vet and Tylan 200. If it was a vet I trusted more I'd go straight there, but... ugh. I hate these decisions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How old are the kids? Ask the vet for a bottle of banamine not just a few doses..... it is not an expensive med and good to have on hand when needed.
The kids will be fine - they're over four months old. I'm just concerned about stressing Mika by taking her away from them. She's a very attentive and caring mother and likes to be close to them.
 

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
Joined
·
4,640 Posts
Got it! I'll start with garlic and vitamin C in the blender and I'm gonna go take her some more water and check her temp again. And I'll give her that VetRX. Still trying to decide between the vet and Tylan 200. If it was a vet I trusted more I'd go straight there, but... ugh. I hate these decisions.
The banamine would be really good to get, so at least talking to the vet to see if you can it would be a good idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
Got it! I'll start with garlic and vitamin C in the blender and I'm gonna go take her some more water and check her temp again. And I'll give her that VetRX. Still trying to decide between the vet and Tylan 200. If it was a vet I trusted more I'd go straight there, but... ugh. I hate these decisions.
Those decisions are hard unfortunately pneumonia is pretty serious as well. You want to get some antibiotics in her as soon as you can really. Call and explain the situation to them, say it won't be easy to get her there or something. They may just have you pick the meds up, although I also worry about it not being pneumonia and something else!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
59,931 Posts
If you can get Tylan 200, then get that. If her temp is still 107, you may be better off going to the vet since you could get Banamine and a stronger antibiotic. But if funds are tight, then go with the Tylan. She will need all the other supportives.

Just saw the vet isn't the greatest. You can use aspirin but I don't know the dosage. If you can get a bottle of Banamine from the vet, that is great to have.
 
1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Top