Possible pneumonia? Please help..

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by EandEBoersWV, Aug 29, 2012.

1. EandEBoersWV

EandEBoersWV JandHFarmWV

Dec 12, 2011
    WV
    I have a weak 4 month old doe. I think I weaned her way to early but had to due to circumstances. Anyway her twin is twice the size she is. Literally. Well a goat drug in shipping fever and she got it. It's hitting her very hard. Thought I was going to lose her but she pulled out of worst. She's coughing up very green mucus and is rattling. Little bit of a runny nose. temp is 103. Have her in the house with vaporizer and robitussin and baby vicks. She's getting 10 cc pen g a day for two days. I have agrimycin 200 getting here tomorrow. What do I do? I'm at a loss...

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Re: Possible pneumonia?

You are going to need keep the Pen for 5 days. I would skip a few days before starting the agrimycin. Others may have different ideas, use your gut feelings.
    Hope she pulls through for you
    Dont forget the probiotics 8 or so hrs after antibiotics.

3. LilBleatsFarm

LilBleatsFarm Premier Colorado Nigerian Dwarf Breeder

Jul 18, 2012
    Colorado

I use Nuflor for pneumonia. In my experience Nuflor targets it a little better. Don't know anything about agrimycin.

What's nice with Nuflor is you give every other day and it usually only takes two shots.

Can you get a few doses from your vet? I would also give your goatie all the support stuff; as mentioned probios, liquids, and I'd add VitB.

I treat all goats I keep with Pasturella.

HTH,

4. EandEBoersWV

EandEBoersWV JandHFarmWV

Dec 12, 2011
    WV

Our vet is not very goat savvy. And I would prefer to Try the agrimycin befor nuflor since I have it. I'm giving her vitamin c, nurtidrench, and electrolytes. Is in he house better than in the barn since ts getting down to about 50 at night here?

5. LilBleatsFarm

Jul 18, 2012
    Colorado

If for no other reason .... you can monitor him better.

I always worry about my goaties and if one is sick I bring them into the house or sleep in the barn with them. Otherwise, I'd never get any sleep.

I've been working on a med sheet that I got from Onion Creek I think. http://www.lilbleats.com/Med_Care_Sheet.htm but I don't have agrimycin on it. Will have to add since I'm not familiar with it.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Agrimycin is Oxtet, also known as LA-200. ;)

You could switch her to oxytet, but as long as she doesn't get worse and her temp doesn't go up I would continue the PenG. If she gets worse then give the Oxytet.

7. LilBleatsFarm

Jul 18, 2012
    Colorado

thanks RunAround .....

Adding to sheet :wink:

8. EandEBoersWV

EandEBoersWV JandHFarmWV

Dec 12, 2011
    WV

Well she is still okay today.Her mouth was cold when I got up this morning. Got her a heating pad and she's alot warmer now. Not wanting to eat though. She's very weak and can't stand on her own. Any suggestions? I got some electrolytes down her. Putting some nutridrench down her after bit. I also got 35 ml of milk replacer down her. I can't get her to eat solids. I took her out to get some sun earlier and see if she would try to eat grass. She didn't but she did call to the other goats and watched them intently. Got more Pen G today. Any tips or tricks for weak and sickly kids besides obvious treatments?

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Can you get some Alfalfa pellets and soak just a little bit of it.. then... make it so... it will go through a 30cc syringe? Then very slowly...feed it to her...you can also put some loose salts and minerals in there ect...... you don't have to give her a lot each feeding...and make sure... you make up a new batch each time....you want to feed her...she will get the nutrients she needs....and may build her strength up...

I would give her Fortified vit B complex for appetite.... try 6 cc's...(US) that will give her a good jump.... :hug:

10. goatgirlzCA

goatgirlzCA Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Clovis, California
    I have had quite a few goats with pneumonia like symptoms and I hit them Nuflor, the next day they are already feeling better. I tried Naxcel before that, and it was days of treatment and feeling icky before it kicked in. Nuflor is expensive, but so worth it!

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I don't know what you have for meds but here is what I would get into her.
    B-complex,
    Dexamethasone
    BoSe(if she hasn't had any)
    Vitamin C(injectable or oral)
    Nutri drench
    Banamine

I would also try to get Nuflor from your vet, but if you can't then start the Agrimycin. Keep her warm and try to get fluids into her.