The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 and a half year old LaMancha doe who has lost her appetite. She stopped eating yesterday. Her eyes are dull and runny. She appears somewhat bloated and showed a temp of 104 last night. She was also "throwing up" (spewing her cud) yesterday afternoon.

We assume that she has gotten something toxic in her gut and needs to get it out. I made a mixture of yogurt and activated charcoal and forced that into her last night. We also gave her a shot of penicillen in the thigh.

She appeared a little better this morning, but not herself still. We gave her 2 dairy calf bolus tablets this morning and we plan to give her another shot of penicillen this evening.

What else can we do? I can't get her to drink anything. I tried Gatorade this morning but she is not interested? How do I force her to drink?

We have had our two LaMancha does since they were 2 months old, but this is the first time that either has gotten sick. So worried about her...

·
14,615 Posts
Cathy's Homemade Electrolytes;
1/2 gal hot water
2-6 Tablespoon molasses
1-2 Tablesp sea salt, regular salt Epsom salt or baking soda
1 cup apple cider vinegar

If she wont drink it you are going to need to drench.

If you have Fortified B Complex she could use a shot of it to help with appetite.

·
Registered
31,018 Posts
I agree.continue the activated charocole, also you can dose 15 cc per 60# of Milk of Magensia...Keep her hydrated...
I would also be giving cd antitoxin and B complex..
I would give her antibiotic shots sub Q..its less painful..and with Penicillin you dont want to get it in the vien..so be sure to pull back on the plunger, if you see blood, re adjust and try again, no blood means good to go...

best wishes...

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I agree with the charcoal. Give it straight don't mix it. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the quick replies. Can I ask...what does it mean to drench? How do I do that? And where do I get Vit. K1 or B complex? We have a Tractor Supply store. Would it be there?

·
Registered
31,018 Posts
Drench is just giving it orally...You take a syringe or drenching gun ( which is just a large syringe with metal squirty thingie lol, you can get this at TSC) You place it from the side of their mouth toward the back of their tongue and push the plunger slowly, allowing time forthem to swallow..
B complex is found at TSC as well..I would get Fortifed B complex if they have it..it has more B 1 in it which is always good to have...Not sure about the K1..: )
Best wishes

·
Registered
31,018 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today we are working on getting some liquid into her. I took a feces sample to the vet - it looks relatively normal in consistency, but I could visibly see white worms in the stool. This is the time we normally would deworm, but our dewormer is in pellet form. I want to know specifically what worms I am dealing with and get a paste or injection to combat that.

She is still not eating much, a nibble here and there. She is more sluggish than normal, but still getting up and around some.

·
8,247 Posts
Generally, those pelleted wormers don't do as good a job as injectable ivomec- given orally, or depending on the parasites, other wormers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts