Possible polio, need help please!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Dunfretin Farm, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Dunfretin Farm

Dunfretin Farm New Member

Jul 25, 2018
    DeKalb County, AL
    Geneva is a 6 wk ok Pygmy ( the runt of a triplet birth, only female) who I found on Monday at lunch, laying on her side in the barn at feeding time. She couldn’t stand, and when I picked her up she thrashed and couldn’t hold her head up. I segregated her from the rest in a corner of the barn. When I got back home after work (5:00), she was sitting up, but I could tell she was still “off”. I brought her up to the “goat hospital” on our back porch, and then hit the Google to find out what was going on. Everything I read led me to polio; when I held her head still, her eyes just went back and forth, like someone with vertigo. She held her head to the side, “stargazed”, couldn’t really walk straight or stand for long without tipping over. I called on a cousin who’s a goat man, and he brought over penicillin and a bottle of injectable fortified B vitamins. We dosed her with those, she drank a bottle of formula, and then laid or stood very still for the rest of the evening...except for her bobbing eyes and head. Yesterday morning, there was little improvement, and her poop had turned from normal to mushy but still solid. She took another bottle of formula. On lunch break yesterday, I mashed up some B complex vitamins and mixed them and some probiotics in with the formula, and she took that. She also ate a little feed (not sweet feed), and some hay. At 5, her poop was super mushy to almost liquid, and she wouldn’t take a bottle. I used a syringe and gave a little water, and then we dosed her again around 9pm with vitamin B injection, plus dosed her with wormer. Today, she seems a lot better; has had 3 bottles, has eaten feed, electrolytes, the probiotics, the mashed b complex tablets, some feed pellets, and even jumped off the porch to play with the dogs! She’s standing pretty steady, and her poop has turned back to normal goat pellets! My only issue is, she is still holding her head cocked to the side...could she have nerve damage? I lost one a few weeks ago to a bad case of bloat that she couldn’t overcome, even with all the tricks I tried. That goat was also a runt, but was much older...plus she was one that was given to me bc the previous owners couldn’t keep up the bottlefeeding schedule. She could’ve had defects I wasn’t aware of. But Geneva came from a healthy dam and buck, but it’s the first set of triplets we’ve had since having the goat farm. I just need someone to coach me to help her get back to health and off the back porch, lol! She’s a sweet girl!

2. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    It could just be a sign of lingering polio. Don't stop the B vitamins until her head and eyes are back to normal. If possible, get injectable Thiamine to speed up the process. Good luck! :)

Dunfretin Farm likes this.

3. Dunfretin Farm

Jul 25, 2018
    DeKalb County, AL
    Thank you so much! Yes, I’m about to do our bedtime shot of B vitamins in a few minutes. I’ll be glad when she can be back with her momma and brothers. Very thankful that she’s on the road to recovery! I did not want to lose another one if I could help it! ☺️

4. Dunfretin Farm

Jul 25, 2018
    DeKalb County, AL
    After tonight’s injection, her eyes are “rolling” much slower, more like someone reading moving words on a screen. Holding her head back and a little to the side. She’s chewing cud, which is a good sign, and still has normal poop and pee...she enjoyed a couple raisins as a treat after her shot. She only weighs 6.5 pounds, so I’ve been a little overwhelmed at dosing amounts, etc, but I think she’s almost through this! Praise the Lord!

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

6. My buck had bad polio/lesteriosis. We followed the above protocol. You need to give dex or banamine. Mine got "better" but not fully better until he had the full dosages of dex, then his head tilt slowly went away and he improved at a faster rate.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, be aggressive and treat for both listeria and polio. Banamine or Dex for brain swelling is crucial as well.

8. Dunfretin Farm

Jul 25, 2018
    DeKalb County, AL
    Ok, so I’ve got some dex that is 4mg/mL...and now I need to know how much to give her! She weighs about 6.5 pounds... I have been reading and searching everywhere to get an answer to this and can’t get clarity! Do you have any idea?

9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Everybody's answers are great. Thiamine injections are really important as well as the vitamins.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Dex needs to be dosed according to your vets instructions, it is very potent stuff and can do harm if not given properly.

Did your vet prescribe it to you?

11. Dunfretin Farm

Jul 25, 2018
    DeKalb County, AL
    No, I work for a physician who allowed me to bring some home from our office to see if it helped. (Lol, all my coworkers are up to date on any goat issues I have bc I come home every day at lunch to feed/water, etc). I have contacted the vet and I’ve posed the question; I just don’t have an answer back yet. I’m not going to dose her until I have a concrete answer. I just hated to make her wait any longer than she had to! I know how dangerous (and also helpful) steroids can be, for animals and people alike!

12. @jschies do you remember the dosage on dex?

I got mine from her and she made the appropriate doses for me. My vet didn't do the right dosage for him.

On Tennasee Meat goats they say:

Dexamethasone (prescription cortico-steroid) injections are used to reduce brain stem swelling. Dexamethasone will induce labor in pregnant does, but the doe is likely to abort anyhow, so ending the pregnancy will help save the sick doe. Dexamethasone dosage is 6 cc per 100 pounds bodyweight given IM and in decreasing amounts daily. Dexamethasone must be tapered off rather than stopped abruptly. I don't use Dexamethasone on young kids under six months of age except under the direction of my veterinarian. Steroids suppress the immune system, so they must be used only when necessary.

Dosing Dexamethasone

100 pound goat 200 pound goat

6 cc Day 1 12 cc Day 1

5 cc Day 2 10 cc Day 2

4 cc Day 3 8 cc Day 3

3 cc Day 4 6 cc Day 4

2 cc Day 5 4 cc Day 5

1 cc Day 6 2 cc Day 6

Adjust dosages for other weights. The goal is to finish the Dex injections in six days.

13. Dunfretin Farm

Jul 25, 2018
    DeKalb County, AL
    Here’s how Doc and I worked it out:

Goat blog/ dex info says 1-2 mg per 20lbs.
    So if that’s the case, and I have 4mg/mL dex, the that would be (conservatively)
    .25 mL per 20#
    So, my 6.5# goat would get .08 mL of the 4 mg/mL...

**he said I could round up to the .1 mL (cc). With that small of an amount, I still need to taper, right??

toth boer goats likes this.
  14. Yes you taper down to less and less each day for 6 days.

15. Dunfretin Farm

Jul 25, 2018
    DeKalb County, AL
    I have “allergy shot/insulin” syringes, so that small a dose is quite easy to measure.

16. Dunfretin Farm

Jul 25, 2018
    DeKalb County, AL
    Thank you!!

17. Dunfretin Farm

Jul 25, 2018
    DeKalb County, AL
    Btw, funny...she jumped off the back porch today(I’ve had the gate closed), and snuck back in the pen with her tribe...so I’m gonna have to round her up this evening for meds! She’s been having a little fun this afternoon...

Jubillee likes this.
  18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California