Possible real stupid question...

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by PattiXmas, Mar 22, 2010.

1. PattiXmas

PattiXmas New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Before our Nubian, Snowy, kidded, her pooch area was pink, as was the underside of her tail. It is now a blackish color. I thought maybe it was bruising after delivery until I noticed that Daisy's pooch area is now a blackish color.

I have tried just "searching" on different sites for it, and you would be surprised (and embarrassed) about what turned up.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I call my vet? It seems weird that Daisy who we thought was bred, but didn't have any kids would turn the same color.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I think you are just noticing the changes that happen as they mature.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Do you have a picture? It could be possible that she has pigmented skin back there.

4. PattiXmas

PattiXmas New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Next time we pop out there, I'll try and get a picture. It was just weird because before Snow had Eve, it was pink, just like Daisy's only bigger:). Now both girls are black.

So, as they mature the pooch area may darken? The girls turned one in February, so maybe that is it. I have just looked at their pooches and udder area so much lately and then when I saw the black it kind of freaked me out.

5. horselover

horselover New Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi Stacy. I think you know my best friend Brianna Coughlin. Every year i go to AGS and show with Cheryl Coughlin. I remember you being there. You were with your really cute goats underneath a pavilion. Anyway I am new to this website and I do not own any goats but I wish I did. My favorite breed is Nigerian Dwarf. They are sooo friendly!! My name is Rachel. Hopefully you remember me!!

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes I remember you and yup I had my girls over under the pavilion at the 2 day show last year.

I hope you get to go again this year - we can meet up again.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes, as a doe matures the skin will darken...or in the case of my white nigi/pygmy doe....she got lots of freckles on an otherwise pink before 1 year old backside!

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree... it is probably pigment change.... :wink: