The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Fair-Haven
4,727 Posts
If you want her for milk - check her mom's udder and size of teats. Very small teats are VERY difficult to milk. Because she is a cross, you should breed her with a smaller buck when the time comes. Also ask if the herd has been tested for CAE/Johnes.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Kinders are Nubian/Pygmy crosses, so look into them for more general information.

I think she looks nice. As said already, ask about blood testing and get her some minerals, and a goat buddy. Goats don't do well as singles (as a general truth)

·
Registered
3,990 Posts

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
OOPS! I was sleepy, Nathan, and actually forgot who I was writing to. Of course she won't be a single.

Kinders are smaller goats, so you won't want to breed her to large standard buck.

If she's young, there's plenty of time to develop her teats for milking.
Here is the protocol I follow for developing milking teats and udder
http://glimmercroft.com/Udder.html

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
You can breed her to any breed that would be the same size or smaller than she is. SOME families of the standards throw small kids as a rule but eventually grow full size. I've used that strategy, but until you really know what you are doing, it really is best to stick with one of the smaller breeds. That means not Alpines, which are quite large.

Any of the smaller breeds would do. Pygmy would make the offspring more meaty, Nigerian Dwarves would make them more dairy, the mini breeds (including other kinders) would all work. Some Fainters are medium sized, that should work. San Clementes, etc.

What do you have around you?

Don't choose just because of size. You still have all the other considerations, too. Always keep in mind wanting to improve your herd by using the best bucks you can.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,556 Posts
Just out of curiosity, do you know if her parents were full Nubian and full pygmy, because if they were registered you could register her to the kinder breeder association and get a higher price for her kids if you plan on selling.

To me she doesn't look super pureblooded, but I've just started doing this.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just out of curiosity, do you know if her parents were full Nubian and full pygmy, because if they were registered you could register her to the kinder breeder association and get a higher price for her kids if you plan on selling.

To me she doesn't look super pureblooded, but I've just started doing this.
Nope but i'll ask.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can breed her to any breed that would be the same size or smaller than she is. SOME families of the standards throw small kids as a rule but eventually grow full size. I've used that strategy, but until you really know what you are doing, it really is best to stick with one of the smaller breeds. That means not Alpines, which are quite large.

Any of the smaller breeds would do. Pygmy would make the offspring more meaty, Nigerian Dwarves would make them more dairy, the mini breeds (including other kinders) would all work. Some Fainters are medium sized, that should work. San Clementes, etc.

What do you have around you?

Don't choose just because of size. You still have all the other considerations, too. Always keep in mind wanting to improve your herd by using the best bucks you can.
Ok I just thought because the sire was a nubian and the dam was a pygmy it would be fine.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts