Possibly getting a new girl

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by crocee, Dec 9, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I was going to go and look at her today but its too cold and windy to transport. Shes 1/2 Nubian 1/2 Saanen so she should have some pretty good milk. We are not sure if she's bred, however she has been exposed so maybe. Shes been disbudded so no horns. Our herd queen is horned and onery. Hopefully this won't cause a problem. Right now I am trying to get this Togg bred. If she doesn't take this time I am going to rehome her as shes doing nothing but eating and fighting.
    Andi

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is so exciting..... :thumbup:

The horn dominate doe.... will batter a new comer.....they always seem ....to have to say.... I'm boss..... :doh: :help: You will have to watch them closely.....

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    congrats on the new doe :cool:

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Congrats on the new girl!!

I have one baldy with 4 horned girls, she's been in the herd now for over 2 years and I've seen her use HER head on them! She knows when to move out of the way as well as how to hold her own and I have not had an injury from horns ever. Duct tape across the top of the horns works well to ensure safety during the trial period. :wink:

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Liz,
    Please explain this duct tape for safety thing. I want my new doe, should I get her, to be safe and Tracy can be an ornery lil' witch at the best of times.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Depending on the way her horns grow, my girls horns grow straight up so it is easy for me to take a 10 inch length of duct and put it across the front and wrap around the backside of each. I then put more across the tips.

7. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
  8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Very pretty Togg! The way they curve back at the tips, you can still use duct tape. Span it across her horns but don't pull it tight, you don't want to squeeze her horns together, she'll still ram, but she won't be able to catch anything like a leg between her horns and covering the tips would prevent a poke with the end...My girls are usually more subdued when I tape horns, it's almost like I hurt their pride.

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I will give that a try tomorrow. Its 28° so the tape wouldn't stick anyway. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer (in the 40s). Shes a little subdued at the moment as she isn't even attempting to challange the new buck :shocked: , I guess she knows better :ROFL: . IF I buy the doe I will be bringing her home tomorrow. I will also be stopping by the PO to get your package out.

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
  11. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    We went and picked her up this morning. I must have had some of the scent of our buck on me cause she was flagging and wouldn't leave me alone. I washed my jacket but I guess he's really potent. When we got her home they took an instant interest in each other. She peed in his face and stood while he tried to mount her. Shes a little taller than he is but they will figure it out. Pictures coming soon.

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    WOW...Zeus really gets the job done PDQ!

Congrats on your new hopefully settled girl.

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Congrats on your new doe. :) You can also put tennis balls on the tip of the horns to stop your herd queen from really getting new goats.

14. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Ya know, its funny. Tracy the mean herd queen has not challenged anyone since we brought the buck in. Shes become somewhat docile. I guess he told her in no uncertain goat language terms not to mess with HIS girls. Its really funny to see her knocked down a notch or 2. I actually like her now but if she doesn't get bred shes going to be sold. I don't need another hay burner.