Possibly mites??????

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Apr 19, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have notice for the pass week that Elwood's hair has been thinning around eyes and moving down his face, I can tell that he has been rubbing the top of his head a bit on something...he has a small raw spot......he is the wether that loss all his hair this winter due to a fever, but his coat has come back in nicely accept for now this.....could this be mites? I had changed their minerals about 3weeks ago to Hoeggers Golden Blend because I thought the boys maybe lacking some minerals and they are adjusting to them very well.....I also noticed that he has a waxy build-up on his little teats and read where this could also be from mites......what should I do for him? I have not really noticed him itching, but the poor little guy was so dry and flaky after losing all his hair his winter that he probably doesn't even noticed that he is itchy! I can not find anything on either of them and Jake has no thinning of hair.
    Thanks, Denise

2. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Pictures of it might help.

I was just at a feed seminar a few weeks ago, and the speaker said that certain foods can make livestock itchy. I forget what it was, but some feeds are higher in certain ingredients. You might have to do a web search to find out more info. I'll see what I can pull up. Maybe it was yeast? I dunno...

Here is something I found on mites:

BARN ITCH (CHORIOPTIC MITES)
    The white mite is extremely small (about 1/60th inch), oval, and has eight legs. The
    skin disease, barn itch, is caused by the feeding of these mites. They pierce the skin to
    get to the lymph on which they feed. The irritation to the skin results in intensive itching
    and discomfort.
    Mite populations are usually very low during the summer months, allowing the symptoms
    of the disease to clear up on the cattle. In late fall, the mites increase rapidly in
    numbers, and they reach a peak in late winter.
    Chorioptic mites may attack the skin on any part of the animal but are most commonly
    found on and between the rear legs, around the base of the tail, and along the flanks.
    The lesions on the skin, caused by the feeding of the mites, are usually not noticeable
    until the disease is well advanced; then scabs or scales form over these lesions. The
    skin underneath is only slightly swollen and inflamed. When the hair is rubbed off the
    affected area, the skin appears thick and wrinkled.
    Observe cattle closely, especially in the fall. One of the first symptoms of barn itch is
    the animals’ excessive licking of the affected areas. Examine the animals and check the
    itchy areas. Look closely for roughened skin. A definite diagnosis can be made by taking skin
    scrapings from the animals and isolating the mites that cause the disease. veterinarian is
    qualified to make this diagnosis. (An inexperienced person might not be able to find the
    tiny mites.)

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    very informative!

i think zephyrs had mites this winter..the hair on her legs was thinning, i emailed pam (toth) and she said i could use mineral oil (not ivomec + bacause she was pregg.) it worked...thanks!

4. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I thought Ivermec was safe for pregnant doe?

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    ivomec is but ivomec plus isnt.

6. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
  7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks Dreamchaser for the info!

8. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Ok I got a goat I bought from someone. I should have looked her over better. When I got her home I noticed that she was losing hair on her ears around her eyes. Down the back of her neck and down her back she is real flaky and really thinned hair does that sound like mites or lice to you. I have treated her with ivomec plus and a lice treatment from TSC but it doesnt seem to be helping. She still is really flaky could it be something else maybe she wasnt getting the minerals she needed. Any help will be appreciated.

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It could be a zinc deficiency.

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Maybe a mineral def in yours, but I shouldn't give advice....I can't even figure out my own.......these guys are so frustrating at times :hair: ! I have changed my guys minerals because I thought maybe they weren't getting what they needed, it has only been 3 weeks.....Elwood loss all his hair this winter due to a fever, but before he loss his hair he was getting orange in the flanks which is a sign of copper def and his skin was very flaky.......his new coat has come back in very nice and black, shiny.....but now he has thinning around his eyes......so I am at a loss.....I have read that hair thinning around the eyes could be zinc def, so I was giving him a zinc tablet every other day, but then read that to much zinc can throw off the copper.......so at this point I just don't know....I thought maybe he could have mites, but he isn't scratching or acting itchy.....If anyone can figure this out I would be soooooo grateful! I dusted both boys today and used Vetrx or Rxvet (whatever it's called) on the thinning areas of his face and around and in his ears.

11. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    What would one do for a zinc deficiency?

12. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I'm wondering the same thing and how do I know if they are deficient in zinc or something else? This is all so frustrating sometimes :hair: I just bolused 2 of my goats that needed copper and their skin is really bad.

13. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    My vet suggested me giving mine a human zinc tablet every other day when I was telling him about Elwoods hair loss around the eyes.... and see if it made a difference in his flaky skin......which I can't say I really saw any improvement, but I only did it for about a week......because I ran across an article that was saying that too much zinc supplements can interfer with the copper absorbtion.......if your read the symptoms for copper and zinc def they are so much a like......I am at a loss :hair: ! I am going to see my vet in the morning for my dogs, but while there I'm going to ask some questions about all of this as he is my goat vet to. Also, I am wondering if black goats are the ones with more issues......my other boy has no skin or fur problems.

14. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I had a doe that started to lose some hair around the eyes and the bridge of her nose and her skin everywhere was dry and flaky,I gave her a zinc tablet every day or every other day and now she is back to normal skin and hair. Good luck!

15. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Hey Jenna.....how long did you give your doe the zinc? We are so excited about this weekend.....we will see you soon, safe travels!
    Denise

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    she could just have dry skin..i'd give her a nice bath with a soothing shampoo. :shrug: along w/ the zinc.

17. HummelHill

HummelHill Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Montville OH
    Hi Denise,
    I have a black buck that has the exact same symptoms as Elwood. His hair loss around his eyes started when he was only a couple months old, and has since progressed to crusting and hair loss around his eyes, top of nose, teats, and scrotum. When I asked my vet about it he immediately asked me if it was a black goat because apparently they see the same condition quite frequently in black alpacas. He called it zinc responsive dermatitis and said he believes it is a form of an immune deficiency. Unfortunately, I've been treating my guy with a daily zinc tablet for almost a year, and while it seems to make the crusty skin a tiny bit better, I have never been able to fully resolve it and get hair growth back. I also tried copper bolus twice at 6 month intervals, but it didn't seem to help either.

The next thing I'm going to try is Blue Seal EZ Pels, as I read that they are a more readily absorbed form of mineral. I have them on order at my feed store and should have them in a week or so.

I agree it's very frustrating :hair:

18. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Lori......Thank you so very much for the info...I have tried finding the Blue Seal EZ pels, but can't find them around here, maybe I can get one of my feed stores to order them also.
    Thanks again, Denise

19. HummelHill

HummelHill Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Montville OH
    You're welcome! I really do believe it is a copper/zinc absorption and balance issue, but resolving it seems to be quite challenging. If I can't get my boy straightened out I'm going to have to remove him from my breeding program and wether him as I don't want to potentially pass this down to his offspring. :(