possibly pregnant doe - UPDATED 5/27 POOCH PICS

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kids-n-peeps, May 1, 2010.

1. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    I have a doe who has me totally confused - on March 1st she was bred by the buck one time. Since that time, I have not seen her in heat, but instead she has acted bucky -- she spent most of March and early April mounting my youngest doe, stomping her feet, sticking out her tongue, etc. The behavior has lessened in the past 2 weeks, but can occassionally been seen. She's a little over a year old.

So the question . . . is this behavior something that can happen in the early months of pregnancy or should I be wondering if she needs a hormone type shot or something?

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Re: possibly pregnant doe acting bucky

She could possibly be suffering from hormonal changes but I think she's just showing her dominance over the younger one. She is showing that she is the herd QUEEN and the younger one better not forget it. Honestly its totally normal.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I have found one of my does acts a bit more bucky like once she is bred. She challenges the other does more too

4. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia

Well, she's second from the bottom, but I can see how she might be acting like that to maintain that position since the youngest doe is now the same size if not bigger than the doe in question. Since she hasn't gone into heat, though, I might have to get the camera out and take a pooch picture and see what you all think, although it might be a tad early - 61 days.

5. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Re: possibly preg doe acting bucky w/ pooch pic, opinions?

I know it's a tad early - day 61 - but venture your best guess!

this one hubby was holding the tail up some, so that might distort things[attachment=1:31k15udx]MPOOCH.JPG[/attachment:31k15udx]
    this one involved no human tampering :)[attachment=0:31k15udx]m pooch.jpg[/attachment:31k15udx]

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: possibly pregnant doe acting bucky -- POOCH PIC - opinio

I'd say she settled, I have a doe that will act bucky the first 2 months after breeding, then again 2-3 weeks before she's due.

The "natural" pic looks like a preggy pooch :thumbup:

7. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA

Hey-I like the response!

8. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia

Well I hope she is because, if not, she has turned into a "strange bird." :leap:

9. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia

I took 2 more pics today - she is not acting as bucky, I haven't seen her in heat, but I don't see any udder development at all. I thought the pooch test would be more accurate now - she'd be Day 87 today.[attachment=1:11w9tapy]5 27 Pooch.JPG[/attachment:11w9tapy][attachment=0:11w9tapy]Pooch 5 27.JPG[/attachment:11w9tapy]

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I say yes, her tail is fleshier and soft looking underneath, as far as not seeing udder development yet, give her a bit more time, some FF develop early and others not til 4 weeks before the due date.
    If you've not noticed any sign of heat....even a subtle one, she is likely settled.
    I hope I'm right, she looks to be a pretty colored girl and her babies would be just as pretty!

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    By those last pictures I would say BABIES ARE ON THE WAY. :leap: :cool:

12. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Does anybody mind explaining just what we should be looking for with a pregnant pooch? Is it more poofey? Different color? Shape? :shrug: They really do not have these things in books!

13. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    My understanding is that a pregnant pooch is more relaxed and "open". Less wrinkled up....maybe elongated is the right word?

14. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    :thumb: Ah, okay! Thank you!

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep...the entire area under the tail..including the flesh of the tail tends to relax and look softer, the later part of pregnancy is when the tail skin looks fleshy and velvety soft.

16. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I'm going to say yes as well. I have does that will act bucky when they are bred up to a couple months after then, within one month of kidding those same does become very bucky, mounting other does, lip flapping, etc.

17. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Lucky you for getting some pooch pics...now what do you think about Marcie-she's been acting bucky too!!!!!!!! I'm totally confused by her so called "udder".... but glad the consensus is a YAY on Myra being preggo!!! Yay Myra! You go girl!

18. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    :cool: Cool - I hope so.

logansmommy - time to follow your goat's rear around with a camera :leap:

19. holly

holly New Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Well, I'm a total greenie--I didn't know about the pooch. I had mine ultrasounded and the vet saw a gestational sac but no fetus(es). Said that's normal, they often don't see anything but a sac. Well, due date has come and gone (5/28) and no baby(ies) yet. Either, she is just really fat or she's overdue. Is it normal for a doe to pass her due date by more than a few days? I've checked tail ligaments which so no signs of disappearing. I don't want to be feeding her like she's preggo if she's not. She hasn't come into heat since she was bred, but she's also a first time mommy so I don't know what's normal for her.

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    holly why dont you start a new topic and give us details and pictures if you can. That way we can help you directly

a goats gestation is approx 150 days but they can go as late as 160.