Possibly sick doe?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Kristendanae, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Kristendanae

Kristendanae Active Member

When I got home this afternoon my goat, Duck, had managed to bust out of her pen into the yard. She seemed pretty active then. She knew she was in trouble and took off running... well I put her up and went inside to whip up some herbal dewormer, came back out and noticed her poop was very soft looking pellets. I checked her eyelids and they were really pale. I thought maybe she had gotten into some really lush grass while I had been gone today. Over the next 2 hours it got pretty "mushy" I would say. But not diarrhea. I'll add she had a horrid case of cocci about 18 days ago. Worst diarrhea I had ever seen. I did treat it chemically instead of herbally because she was really ill and I was too scared. She was acting different once her mushy poop started. She's the herd queen and always vocal and although she was head butting and nipping at everyone she looked sad and was a little quiet. I took her temp and its 102.3. She is eating and drinking but when the others went up in the field she didn't go with them which is unusual. She is also letting her 6 week old twin bucklings nurse. We do. have cherry trees in the back, and I've heard they are poisonous to goats... she could have eaten some but she has before unfortunately and it didn't affect her any. I'm also looking for a new vet because mine shorted me twice on marquis and the second time I went back to get what I paid for he charged me. And I got home and still didn't have enough to properly dose my goat. I know this run on paragraph is jumbled but I'm at a loss and need some suggestions!?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Get activated charcoal into her in case it is poisoning.

3. Kristendanae

How much should I give her? I've never used it before but I have 4 gram capsules.

4. ksalvagno

They say 1-3 cc per 2.2 lbs. That would be liquid though. How much does she weigh?

GoofyGoat likes this.
  5. Kristendanae

85-90 lbs. I bought the capsules the other day at kroger and just assumed it would be good to have in my goat supplies since I've seen people talk about using it. I've never used it before so I know nothing about it.

6. ksalvagno

.75g per 2.2lbs for powder

7. Kristendanae

Should I open the capsules and mix them with something?

8. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    @ksalvagno
    Where do you find the liquid? I have paste but liquid sounds easier and better to have on hand.
    Thanks

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  9. ksalvagno

I had gotten it from the vet. It was an emergency situation. My goats got 60cc each of the liquid charcoal. I suspect she just put powder in water but it was a thicker liquid.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  10. ksalvagno

You can mix them in water to drench.

11. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I check into it at my vets thanks! :)

ksalvagno likes this.
  12. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Tractor Supply, Jeffers has the liquid suspension activated charcoal named Toxiban. It is thickish type liquid.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  13. Kristendanae

She seems ok this morning. Still not herself but her poop has firmed a little. It's pellets but they are stuck together and still mushy. Would eating something poisonous cause her eyelids to be pale? That has me worried.

14. Kristendanae

Also, the only thing it looks like she ate was a few of my butternut squash and cucumber plants yesterday. As far as I know those aren't poisonous to goats?!

15. ksalvagno

Even if she didn't eat something poisonous, the activated charcoal helps with enterotoxins. That is why it doesn't hurt to give. Sounds like she probably just ate too much of new things.

16. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I do want to ask what you treated the cocci with and how many days?

17. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Pale eyelids are a sign of anemia. Anemia can be caused by an overload of worms, coccidia, lice, mites.... Check her whole body for lice, itchy and/or balding spots as an indication of mites, run another fecal test to check for worms and coccidia.

Also, how many rounds of chemical medication was used? The name of the product, dosage given, number of days used per round of treatment.

18. Kristendanae

Marquis and just the one dose. They could have lice. They've been biting And scratching but everyone else has dark pink/red eyelids. And I barely had enough meds to give her since the vet assistant double charged me and shorted me on the medicine. I literally had to rinse the bottle with water and give it to her that way to make sure she got enough.

19. Kristendanae

It seems that the issue is tapeworms and mites. I usually don't use chemical wormers and have never on her but I feel like she just isn't bouncing back to her normal self fast enough since she had coccidia nearly 3 weeks ago. I've noticed on here that people say do 3 days of safeguard for tapes. Do I repeat that in 10 days like I would the ivermectin paste? I think her diarrhea was caused by something she ate and her anemia is due to the mites. It has gotten better after I gave her the activated charcoal. All the moms and babies in that pen seem to be biting and itching a lot.