Post banding behavior

Discussion in 'Goat of the Month' started by Laurahj, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Laurahj

Laurahj New Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Hi everyone I have a queation, yesterday I had both of my nigerian dwarf males banded and one was also debuded. Today the one that was both banded and debuded will not get near me and runs from me. Is this normal, maybe he mad at me, and if so how do I get him to trust me again?? The other kid will come bear me and show affection just not as playful which I figure is normal.

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Were you the one who did this dasterdly deed? Give him a day or two, he'll come around.

Kath G. and groovyoldlady like this.

3. Laurahj

Laurahj New Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Nancy, no I took them to the vet to have it done so that it was done right.

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Offer some treats, they can be off a day or two. By the way I was just ribbing you about the deed.

5. Laurahj

Laurahj New Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Haha its all good it just breaks my heart that he wont come near me right now.

6. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    See if you can corner him and catch him. Then hold him in your lap and talk to him for half an hour or so. See if he'll take a treat from you or eat leaves out of your hand. Hold him in your lap a couple of times a day until he settles. He'll forgive you before too long.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. Laurahj

Laurahj New Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Thank you, thats what I tried earlier and he was so spooked that all his hair was standing up so I left him alone for awhile. Will keep trying as you recommended I just dont want to traumatize him. Lol

9. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    Laurahj, don't fret too much. He will get over it before long and be just like before. Our doelings will be stand offish after banding the horns. Some will take longer to get back to trusting us like they did before the banding. We have 2 that we can't keep out of the way when we go in with them and another one that is just now getting back to normal after 2 months. So it depends on the goat. I would not recommend pressuring him. Just act normal and let him make the move back to you. Animal crackers in small numbers (like 3 or 4 per goat ) seem to be a magical treat. They can smell them and if someone else is eating them then they just can't resist the temptation. :D

groovyoldlady likes this.
  10. Laurahj

Laurahj New Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Thank you Texas Goat Man, he is pretty much back to normal now. However we did experience pretty bad problems with my other male that took all of our attention til now so little spooked one had time to readjust to us after the incident.

11. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
  12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  13. Calfee Farms

Calfee Farms Active Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Corryton, TN
    I figured he would get back to normal. I took my guardian llama and had him gelded. Dude wouldn't even look at me for a month. Finally he came around and was back to his old self. I can't really blame him for being mad at me.

MadCatX likes this.
  14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    LOL, yeah, a very uncomfortable procedure, I cringe every time I have to do it. Glad he got over being mad at you. :)

Calfee Farms likes this.
  15. Miller'sLostGoat

Miller'sLostGoat Active Member

Apr 26, 2018
    lol It never last long. Especially if they get treats after. :)

toth boer goats likes this.
  16. Jeanene

Jeanene New Member

Dec 30, 2017
    My Nigerian/pygmy goat is a week into having being banded. He won't eat alot, hardly drinks. He eats hay though. He had some puss on them so I gave him antibiotics for 3 days. Then input antiseptic on him. He won't come to me now. He is really down. Animal crackers work but their limited. He just don't want water. Not sure what to do.

17. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It would be better to start your own thread. Did you get a temp on him?

Kath G. likes this.
  18. Jeanene

Jeanene New Member

Dec 30, 2017
    I had gotten the temp,he was warm.i treated him,but now he's losing fur? He's eating good,he also is making a clicking sound.?

19. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Old thread, but I think it is very natural to be scared of humans after such a painful treatment.

20. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    The symptoms you are describing are definitely not normal for after banding. Are you able to have a veterinarian see him? It sounds like he has multiple issues going on.